Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Hi everyone!I need help with food vocabulary!    

Hi everyone!I need help with food vocabulary!

portugueseteacher
Portugal

Hi everyone!I need help with food vocabulary!

Hi, again!
Can you please help me with me some vocabulary?My students are working with restaurant menus and we �re a bit confused....

How do you say in English:

prego?

arroz doce?

vinho da casa?

salada mista?

peixe com todos?

Thanks for your help!

3 May 2010      

yanogator
United States

Hi,
Even though I don �t know Portuguese, I feel sure that "vinho da casa" is "house wine" and "salada mista" can be called "mixed salad" or "tossed salad". Restaurants often call it "garden salad".

I would guess that "arroz doce" is "rice pudding" if it is a dessert (rice with milk, sugar, and maybe cinnamon and raisins).

I �d be interested in seeing a description of "peixe com todos". It might be a dish we don �t know in the US.

I hope I �ve helped,
Bruce

3 May 2010     

lshorton99
China

I �d make the same guesses as you Bruce!

peixe com todos - fish with everything (peixe looks like the Spanisg pez) - would that be a whole fish - that creepy one where it still has the eyes looking at you when you serve it (sorry - childhood trauma!)

Prego sounds familiar - I know I �ve heard it (I live near Portugal so I go there on holiday) but I don �t think it was related to food.

Lindsey

3 May 2010     

portugueseteacher
Portugal

Hi, guys!

Thanks for your help!

I agree with arroz doce-rice pudding is the best option!

As far as fish is concerned I think that fish garnished with vegetables, eggs, roasted potatoes is a nice one.

Prego is related to food , it  means a sort of steak sandwich .

Wine house is also a good one.

Thanks for your help!

3 May 2010     

marcella8161
Italy

Prego
This is Italian. It dipends on the contexts: if you say "Thank you", then the answer "You welcome"  or even "Don �t mention it" is PREGO
If you are entering in a place and you want to let someone pass before you, in Italian we say PREGO as well, but with a totally different meaning. And we would say in English "After you" or something like that.
If you are showing the way to an office etc... you say "This way" and again it is PREGO  in Italian.
If you are inviting somebody to sit down you can indicate a chair and you would say PREGO.

Then PREGO in Italian is also the verb TO PRAY. I pray = IO PREGO

I don �t know if I complicated your life or if this is clear.
All the best

3 May 2010     

plemos
Portugal

I wouldn �t say roasted potatoes but rather boiled... or is it cooked in the oven?

3 May 2010     

plemos
Portugal

I wouldn �t say roasted potatoes but rather boiled... or is it cooked in the oven?

3 May 2010