Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > syntactic funtions of -ing    

syntactic funtions of -ing

Timar Marika
Romania

syntactic funtions of -ing

Please help me with the syntactic functions of -ing in the following sentences:

"While governments do nothing, the world is getting hotter."

"A rapidly growing group of scientists believe that ..."

"The first school suggests a wait-and-see strategy, with many scientists and economists calling for more research and a better understandingof the earth �s climate system."

"Governments should make far-reaching economic and political decisions such as phasing out fossil fuels."

Thank you in advance.�

3 May 2010      

kodora
Greece

I hope the following will help you.

Participles

A participle is a verbal adjective that describes a noun as being a participant in the action of the verb. English has two kinds of participles: a present participle, also called an imperfect participle, which ends in -ing and which ordinarily describes the agent of an action, and a past participle, also called a perfect participle, which typically ends in -ed (but can also end in -en, -t, or none of these), and which ordinarily describes the patient of an action.

The following sentences contain participles:

• The talking children angered the teacher. (Here talking modifies children.)
  • Annoyed, Rita ate dinner by herself in the bedroom. (Here annoyed modifies Rita.)

In English, the present participle is used in forming the continuous aspect (to be doing); the past participle is used in forming the passive voice (to be done) and the perfect aspect (to have done).

A participial phrase is a phrase consisting of a participle and any adverbials and/or arguments; the participle is the head of such a phrase:

• Gazing at the painting, she recalled the house where she was born. (Here gazing at the painting modifies she.)

A relative clause in the active or passive voice can be reduced to a phrase known as a reduced adjective clause by utilizing a present or past participle.[2] The reduced adjective clause can be formed even if the present participle is not used as a predicate in the clause.[3]

• The students who were fidgeting in their seats were anxious about the test.
  • The students who fidgeted in their seats were anxious about the test.
  • The students fidgeting in their seats were anxious about the test.

[edit] Gerunds

A gerund is a verbal noun that refers to the action of the verb. In English, a gerund has the same form as a present participle (see above), ending in -ing:

• Fencing is good exercise. (Here fencing is the subject of is.)
  • Leroy expanded his skills by studying. (Here studying is the object of by.)

A gerund phrase is a phrase consisting of a gerund and any adverbials and/or arguments; the gerund is the head of such a phrase:

• My evening routine involves jogging slowly around the block. (Here jogging slowly around the block is the direct object of involves.)

3 May 2010     

PhilipR
Thailand

"While governments do nothing, the world is getting (verb: present participle to form the present continuous) hotter."

"A rapidly growing (adjective) group of scientists believe that ..."

"The first school suggests a wait-and-see strategy, with many scientists and economists (that/who are) calling (verb: reduced relative clause with present participle) for more research and a better understanding (noun/gerund) of the earth �s climate system."

"Governments should make far-reaching (adjective) economic and political decisions such as phasing (noun/gerund) out fossil fuels.

4 May 2010     

Ximenne
Armenia

You can draw a distinction between finite verbs and non-finite verbs as well.

The non-finite forms of a verb have no tense, person or singular plural. The infinitive and present and past participles are the non-finite parts of a verb; To do; doing; done

Hence, -ING forms are non finite verbs, i.e. verbs that do no necessarily refer to "time".

These verbs can be divided into bigger categories:

-they can be part of a verb phrase (the world is getting hotter)

-they can be present participles with nominal functions (i.e working as a  noun /1/ or as a noun phrase /2/):

1/ "a better understanding" (if you ask "a better what? the answer will be "an understanding"; i.e it �s a noun functioning as a direct object   

2/ "economists calling for more research..." (if you asked,  what are economists doing?, you �d have to answer "calling for...") ; that is a subordinate clause with nominal function  (Sorry Philip, I do not agree calling thbis a reduced relative clause with present participle)

-they can be present participles with adjectival functions (such is the case as "far reaching decisions".

Here �s a useful site. Hope it can help you as much as it has helped me :o) Have a lovely day

Xi

4 May 2010