Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > burkas    

burkas

dawnmain
United Kingdom

burkas

Im going to do a conversation class on the recent law introduced in Belguim banning burkas.  Are there any Muslim women teachers who can give me their opinion?

4 May 2010      

Abizer
Yemen

you can tell them that they are not noticed on the globe and so they would like to poke the sentiments of the most respected religion. Besides aren �t most of the so called non-muslims wearing the burkas in the name of the mask for better health?
Nobody has the right to interfer in anybody �d matters. We live in a democratic country and we don �t tell them not ot expose themselves shamelessly so what gives them right to tell us not to wear burkas.

4 May 2010     

Abizer
Yemen

I m sorry but i forgot to write that this will create a discussion .

4 May 2010     

naryana
Saudi Arabia

Here in Saudi Arabia there is a mutual respect towards non-muslims , they can practice their religion freely without being bothered by anyone.I can �t conceive why the authorities in Belgium are very sensitive towards Muslim women wearing burka ! They are making a big deal out of it ...personally i am proud of wearing burqa in my country and i wouldn �t mind wearing it wherever i go .... Islam enforced such rule to protect women from being molested by men ..i believe the bulgium should be more concerned about those women exposing their bodies to strangers than about pious women who cover their faces beside what harm would Muslim women do to the Belgiums if they cover their faces??????

4 May 2010     

L. habach
Morocco

If the European governments are considering banning the burkas, then they should ban it in monasteries and cathedrals where nuns do wear burkas or veils. This is our religion. We are muslims. We are proud of our Islam that fully protects human rights and encourages tolerance. If a Christian visits any Muslim country, do you think we are going to tell him/her: "take that cross you �re putting round your neck till you get back to your country". That �s non-sense. Where are the personal rights Europeans pretend to maintain and protect then? Ask the Jews not to put black "hats" on their heads!Isn �t   it a religious symbol? It �s the fear from Islam. More and more teens as well as adults embrace ISLAM nowadays. It �s the will of God.

4 May 2010     

mirelli
Brazil

In my opinion people should make the choice if they want to wear or not, not the law. I �m sorry but it �s an absurd what they �re doing of baning burka, where does it go the beliefs? the traditions?We are free to do whatever we want!!! Can �t they see that???I was married to a muslin man but I never wore burca because In my country it �s not a tradition and everybody respected my opinion.

Sorry to post, I �m not muslim, but I had to give my opinion and Dawnmain, you should let your ss know that people are free about their opinion, even if that can get him/her in trouble.
I �m with you Abizer, Naryana and Hasan habach!!!

4 May 2010     

dawnmain
United Kingdom

Thank you everybody for your comments.  (Comments from non-muslims are also much appreciated.)

They are all very interesting and not surprisingly, very different from the opinions of my students.  Here in the north of Spain it isnt at all common to see women dressed in muslim-style clothes never mind burkas or hijabs, so it is very alien to them.  Also, It is hard for us to understand the concept of having to cover up to protect yourself from men. 

However, I am surprised that the Belgian govt. are so scared and hope that other countries have more sense than to follow suit.

4 May 2010     

elderberrywine
Germany

What a pity that hardly anyone can write on this subject without becoming aggressive or without stating that their belief is the only true one.
By the way, France is also considering legislation about veils that cover women �s faces.

A completely veiled woman for me is a frightening sight, probably because it �s so extremely rare and strange in my country. Maybe as shocking as a woman in a bikini in countries where women cover themselves so completely that you can �t even see their faces. Cultures are SO different!

4 May 2010     

mirelli
Brazil

it �s something different but must be respected!

I �m done here because it �s a very, very personal opinion and I don �t want to argue, arguments are not gonna increase anything in my life.

Peace on Earth!!!!Smile

4 May 2010