Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Teaching material > Too Smart!!! Too Fast!! What To Do??    

Too Smart!!! Too Fast!! What To Do??

Kohaku
Japan

Too Smart!!! Too Fast!! What To Do??

I just wrote a beautiful message describing my situation extensively. I am a little frustrated because my message didn �t post. I forgot to select a category and when I returned all the information was gone Cry

I will be brief this time and I hope I can gain responses from users that will be able to help me.

I have one group of students that are excelling very quickly. It is difficult to find activities for them in my speaking class because they are so young. Many people focus on games and teaching with activities. I have tried some with them but they bore easily.

Last month I gave them a test by providing them with a picture. I asked a variety of questions. Some answers were, " A nest in the tree." "Two families" "___men, ___women, _____ children, etc." "boy swimming in the river"

I would like to find a new approach to teaching them vocabulary and target language. Their sentence structure still needs work but their understanding of many questions are simple.

Any suggestions??

5 May 2010      

Apodo
Australia

Games to practise Vocabulary

Shopping:  Write the names of some different shops on the board.

Food Store, Electrical Store, Furniture shop
Go round the class and each student has to name something they would buy in that shop.
Student 1: bread
Student 2: light
Student 3: table

This can also be done with rooms of the house: bedroom, kitchen etc. Students have to name something they would find in each room. Try a visit to the zoo or farm, in the city.

You can change the tense of the sentences eg: I bought, I �m going to buy, I found, I have, I saw.
or increase the length eg: I went shopping and I bought ......., In the kitchen I found a.......
The variations are endless, depending on the vocabulary you want to practise.

Shopping 2: This is more difficult- Alphabetical order (it may help to write the alphabet on the board)
Student 1:  I bought an apple
Student 2:  I bought an apple and a banana
Student 3:  I bought an apple, a banana and a c.......  etc. See how far your students can get before they forget an item.

5 May 2010     

dennismychina
China

What I have done, is to collect a whole lot of arbitrary clip art images lay them out on an A4 page print and then laminate them. The size was a little larger than a playing card. I have about forty of them and use them in different ways. Eg hand them out singularly and have ss make up sentences, or have ss choose 2 or 3 cards and then combined them to make a sentence. It is initially a lot of work but I have been using the same cards for about six years, so in the long run it�s worth it.
Print single words on small cards and do the same as above.
Print short telephone conversations in two parts the caller on one colour card and the receiver on another. Cut them up, dish then out and have ss find their caller. Eg hello I�d like to speak to Paul please. On say a yellow card and �I�m afraid he and his dad have gone to a rugby match� on green. When the ss have found the other half of the conversation they can then make up additional dialog related to the start of the conversation. I have used the above quite successfully for many different levels, from primary school to adults. Hope this helps.
Enjoy.

5 May 2010