Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > For Spanish speakers- doubt with an idiom    

For Spanish speakers- doubt with an idiom

MsPoppins
Spain

For Spanish speakers- doubt with an idiom

Hi everybody,

I have the idiom "as American as apple pie", which I know the meaning of, but I can �t think of a similar expression in Spanish.

The meaning: "When you say that something is "as American as apple pie," what you �re really saying is that the item came to this country from elsewhere and was transformed into a distinctly American experience."

Can anyone help me?
Thanks a lot,
MsPoppins Smile

5 May 2010      

Zora
Canada

Actually, as "American as apple pie" means that "something is truly American" and that it was not brought in from somewhere else and made into an "American experience". Hence the apple pie simile... Apple pie in North America is verrry different than apple pie in Spain (or other parts of Europe, I am guessing.)

It would be like us in Canada saying "as Canadian as hockey." - Ice hockey was basically invented by Canadians and is our national Sport - we generally love it. And as for the Spanish, I �d say that "something could be as Spanish as bullfighting..." Smile

5 May 2010     

Akanah
Spain

What about "tan espa�ol como la tortilla de patatas"?

Olga

5 May 2010     

MsPoppins
Spain

Dear Zora,

thanks a lot for your correction, I �m really grateful. Heart

With this "new" meaning, translation is easier. Anyway, I love your suggestion, I �ll take it!!

Thanks a bunch!!
MsPoppinsSmile

5 May 2010     

MsPoppins
Spain

Hi Olga,

yours is also a lovely idea.

Thanks a lot!!
MsPoppinsSmile

5 May 2010     

almaz
United Kingdom

The alliteration is quite important, so �as Spanish as Sangria � might be an option in English. Slightly more ethically acceptable than bullfighting (but not by much, going by the antics of some of my compatriots here)

The autonomous regions could get a look-in too:

As Catalan as Cargols

etc...

5 May 2010