Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > "Made in" / "Made of"    

"Made in" / "Made of"

Bruna Dutra
Brazil

"Made in" / "Made of"

I did search the net, but couldn �t find anything covering this:

Made in gold vs. Made of gold.

Could anyone help me clear this up with my (very curious) student!?
LOL

I would say they �re both correct (they sound ok to me and I googled both ways, they exist). But I can �t tell them apart.

I thank you in advance.
Hugs, B.

5 May 2010      

eng789
Israel

made from or made of gold  - I prefer made of gold
covered in gold - dipped in gold

5 May 2010     

Bruna Dutra
Brazil

Yes, me too!!! Wink

But due to the fact I �ve found all these possibilities, I would need to explain if there �s any difference between made in/of in that case.

Like, "made in gold" is not totally made "of" gold?! Just dipped in gold, maybe?!
I wonder in here.....

hmmmmm Ermm

Tongue

5 May 2010     

englishreader
Austria

I have never used �made in gold �.
�Made in � is ok for a country: �made in China �, but not for materials.
�Made of � is used for materials.

5 May 2010     

Bruna Dutra
Brazil

@englishreader

Actually, if you google it, you �ll see that there are many examples using "made in gold".
Therefore, can we say that it �s not correct?

"the lady doth protests too much, methinks!"  you may say!!! LOL

5 May 2010     

Zora
Canada

Actually, "if you goggle "made in gold"" all the entries that come back are with "made of gold"... - made in gold doesn �t exist. Things are made in China, made in a factory or made in a bakery...

Made in - for places
Made of - what something consists of.
Made by - person or thing that has "constructed, made or fabricated" the item...
Made with - what it was constructed with

Cheers,

Linda :)

5 May 2010     

Bruna Dutra
Brazil

Hey Linda! So glad to "read" from you!!! lol
Actually, the entries have "made in gold", just like that - rings made in gold and platinum, made in silver. I know we can �t trust google (bad, bad google) at all times, but since there were so many, I �m still wondering why that is, in here!

I already explained him the difference between "made of" and "made from", but when he showed up with a text with "made in gold", I wasn �t sure what to say.

5 May 2010     

Zora
Canada

I think Barb �s answer is the best. Something made in gold is probably not all gold, it �s not solid gold. I still say that it isn �t correct... and it doesn �t matter if I put "the ring is made in gold", "the statue is made in silver" - I keep getting "made of" entries back... which can only mean that this is probably the "proper" way and the "made in silver/gold" is probably a bad translation or something... I don �t know but I have never used this... I think you need to wait to see what other natives say about this. Perhaps, in other countries, they do use this expression. 

5 May 2010     

GIOVANNI
Canada

In Canada we say � �made of gold � �, and not � �made in gold � �.

5 May 2010     

englishreader
Austria

Bruna!

I didn �t mean my answer to seem impolite, sorry if you got that impression!
As a native speaker, from England, I can, with 100% confidence say, that �made in � simply doesn �t exist in British English and I �ve never heard it in American English either, unless we are refering to country of origin!

6 May 2010