Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Agreements... Can you help me?    

Agreements... Can you help me?

similar5
Turkey

Agreements... Can you help me?

"I have never been to Mexico." If someone says us this sentence how can we agree this? ıs the correct answer "So have I." or "Neither have I." ?

Please can somebody explain it to me??

Thanks Smile

6 May 2010      

kotyna
Czech Republic

Nor have I.

6 May 2010     

plemos
Portugal

i WOULD SAY "NEITHER HAVE i"

6 May 2010     

caroay
Spain

so would I plemos!!

6 May 2010     

Mex233
United States

The original sentence was negative, so, in order to agree, you must use "neither."  For an affirmative sentence, use "so."  Examples:

I don �t like coconut.  Neither do I.                    vs.          I like coconut. So do I.
I didn �t know the answer.  Neither did I.          vs.         I knew the answer.  So did I.
I haven �t finished the h.w.  Neither have I.      vs.         I �ve finished the h.w.  So have I.

6 May 2010     

yeldanevin2
Turkey

NEITHER/NOR HAVE I

6 May 2010     

ksalomao
Brazil

Neither have I because never is a particle that indicates negation.

Therefore it is a negative sentence which requires neither

6 May 2010     

similar5
Turkey

I know that We say "so" with positives and "neither or nor" with negatives but we agree the same sentence as "I have never been to Mexico,too." not "either". So I am confused about it.  Thank you for all the answers. HAVE A NICE WEEKEND...Smile

8 May 2010