Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > I waked him up........... Is it gramatically correct?    

I waked him up........... Is it gramatically correct?

vikral
India

I waked him up........... Is it gramatically correct?

Hi everybody!

Is it correct to say "I waked him up."? Can we use "waked", "waked" as past forms of "wake" instead of "woke", "woken"?

Thanks for your advice.

Regards from India

6 May 2010      

mrlypy
Brazil

I am quite sure you can�t because to wake up woke up waken up is a regular verb and the -ed suffix applies only to regular verbs.  so you should say I always wake him up, I woke him up, I have woken him up.

6 May 2010     

mish.cz
Czech Republic

I think that the verb�wake is similar to fe. learn in its conjugation, i.e. it overlaps from irregular verbs to regular verbs and you can use both varieties: "woke" as well "waked". Though I �m not sure how frequent the second one is�

6 May 2010     

kodora
Greece

The form waked is American English.

6 May 2010     

ELOJOLIE274
France

i agree with kodora, waked is American English!!! same as learned!!!

6 May 2010     

claudiahka
Brazil

Take a look at this website: http://www.thefreedictionary.com/waked+up

Everytime I �m in doubt about something my students write, I try to "google" the expression and believe me I get amazed with the possibilities. This verb was one of them....

6 May 2010     

libertybelle
United States

Kodora
I �m American and would never way I waked him!!
I woke him up is what we say.
But you can say I wake him every morning.

7 May 2010     

agostine_
Brazil

Claudiahka, thank you for sending us the link - this website is really great!, and I �m also surprised, because like Libertybelle said, I �d never use �waked up �... Mish.cz was right!

7 May 2010     

stuartallen77
China

Never, ever, ever teach students "I waked him up"

Woke up (Stuart, UK)

7 May 2010