Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > HELP ME!!!    

HELP ME!!!

Patr�ciaLavos
Portugal

HELP ME!!!

Hi everyone!
I have a huge doubt that I would like to clarify. Disapprove
We say: "the news on the radio is short and objective" or "the news on the radio are short and objective"???
I saw the first one on a pupil �s book but I think it �s wrong, because the subject is "the news" and it �s plural. Can you help me??? Confused

7 May 2010      

Lina Ladybird
Germany

The word "news" is always singular even though it seems to be a plural word. ;))

Here �s an example: there �s no good news today. <<< This sentence is perfectly correct!

7 May 2010     

libertybelle
United States

Firstly - you probably saw it IN a pupil �s book. (unless it was on the cover of the book)
News is always spelled with an S.
But the first suggestion - the news on the radio is short and objective
is the correct answer.

Hope this helps
L

7 May 2010     

Laly59
Spain

I always have said: the news on the radio is; I never have listened the news are. It�s all I can say you

7 May 2010     

Fallen Angel
Portugal

Hi, there!

In English  the word "news" is an uncountable noun, so the first sentence is the correct one. If you want to use it in the plural, you have to say for example pieces of news, news items, etc.
Hugs,
Cristina

7 May 2010     

yeldanevin2
Turkey

I agree with my colleagues.The word �news � is uncountable, so it is always singular....

7 May 2010     

plemos
Portugal

This is a typical problem for portuguese people. However, we should say "What �s the news?"- singular YES!
Just like The police is  having a look into the crime...

7 May 2010     

hedgehog
France

I agree the news is but the police are!!!

7 May 2010     

alexcure
Poland

Hello

Yes, The news is but when you need to make it plural you need to use the word "piece" or "item"  The pieces of news are, the same with the other nouns such as furniture, advice, information.

Have a good day!

7 May 2010     

Patr�ciaLavos
Portugal

Thank you all for your replies. They helped me a lot! Handshake

You �re great! Clap

11 May 2010