Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > conjunction ´so ´    

conjunction ´so ´

refis24
United Kingdom

conjunction ´so ´

Hi All,

Just a quick question.  I can not seem to find the answer in my grammar book.

Can you use the word ´so ´ at the beginning of a sentence??

Thanks
Refis24

7 May 2010      

Akanah
Spain

Hi! As far as I remember, we can use a coordinating conjuction at the beginning of a sentence.
Olga

7 May 2010     

libertybelle
United States

It ´s not a good way to start a sentence, but in a few instances, it is acceptable.
For example - So, what ´s new?
L

7 May 2010     

Akanah
Spain

You can use it (not abuse) if it ´s followed by a main clause. I think you don ´t use comma after these conjuctions because they are not transitional expressions like "first, for example..." Try to google it and tell us if you find the correct answer, ok? ;=)
Olga

7 May 2010     

ballycastle1
United Kingdom

We can use ´so ´ at the beginning of a sentence when we are responding to what someone has said e.g.
´I ´m going to the beach at the weekend. ´
´So am I. ´

7 May 2010     

almaz
United Kingdom

How about: ´So many worksheets, so little time...´? and - 

So so!

So, as I said to Doris .....

So what?

So, you´re American?

So?

Of course, you can use ´so´ at the beginning of any piece of text in English. Who´s going to stop you?

8 May 2010     

Jayho
Australia

Hi Refis24

There are different schools of thought on this but basically using so at the beginning of a sentence is common nowadays, in both formal and informal English, in a variety of situations/contexts.  Sometimes there are commas after it, sometimes there aren ´t.

If you google so grammar begin sentence you will see a range of opinions.

Cheers

Jayho

8 May 2010     

Apodo
Australia

Sometimes, at the beginning of a sentence, so will act as a kind of summing up device or transition, and when it does, it is often set off from the rest of the sentence with a comma:

• So, the sheriff peremptorily removed the child from the custody of his parents.

8 May 2010