Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Hi everybody    

Hi everybody

hnoy
Belize

Hi everybody

I am asking for help !

How do u teach speaking for your Ss ?

Thank u alot

8 May 2010      

Lindax
Ukraine

Could you be a little more specific?

8 May 2010     

hnoy
Belize

Hiiiiiiiii    Lindax

I mean
Can I use conversation or qouestions to teach speaking?

8 May 2010     

ELOJOLIE274
France

hi,
I agree with lindax, what do you mean by "teaching speaking"?
there are 2 different ways of "speaking": speech and conversation. and both need specific strategies, so depending on what you want your students to say (in a speech or in a conversation) you will give them different strategies...
so if you need help, you have to be more specific first...
Elodie

8 May 2010     

libertybelle
United States

Please don �t misunderstand Hnoy - but if you �re an educated teacher - didn �t you learn
how to teach children to speak at your teacher �s college?
That is one of the most fundamental areas of our education.
I �m just wondering why you don �t know this.

8 May 2010     

almaz
United Kingdom

Perhaps hnoy has actually posed, in his own wee special, idiolectal way, a relevant question for all of us: how do you teach speaking?

8 May 2010     

sousou aicha
Tunisia

I teach speaking via asking the learners a question about a given topic or asking them to comment orally about some flashcards and visuals which I stick on the board.
For example, last time the topic of the lesson was volunteering kids. I asked the students the following question: Can kids volunteer? / take part in voluntary work?
After I got some answers to this question, I moved to another one: How can they volunteer? / What can they do...
This way, we move from one question to another.
The second way I use is via visuals and flashcards. I let the learners describe some pictures related to a given topic that I want them to speak and learn about it.
Hope I could help you get some useful ideas.Smile

8 May 2010     

hokage8002
Tunisia

It �s really the hardest task of our job to furniture a speaking lesson. Even if you design a variety of activities, there will be always some hindering factors (students abilities, the degree of interest, motivation, their knowledge about the issue in focus ... etc)  So what I can add is that one of us must be conscious of all these factors to overcome any obstacles by starting the session with less challenging activities to lead the students gradually  into more challanging activities and designing a large variety of activity based on visuals , songs , relia . Try also to make them call their background knowledge by exposing them to issues they are interested in. If you can; divide them into heterogeneous ( with different abilities) groups in order  to make high - achiever students help low achievers. Try  to lessen the frequency of correcting their mistakes to the level of correcting only "dangerous" mistakes, which makes hesitating students participate more and feel self confident. Try also to limit your participation in the discussion, let them build it their way. Praise any student who makes an effort whatever the importance of his/her contribution.  try anything you know it can be motivating for them. and tell me if you find any motivating strategy and I will be thankful.

THIS  IS A SAMPLE OF A SPEAKING SESSION YOU MAY HAVE A LOOK AT IT.
http://www.eslprintables.com/printable.asp?id=366877#thetop

9 May 2010