Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Help with translation (Spanish - English)    

Help with translation (Spanish - English)

newuser07
Argentina

Help with translation (Spanish - English)

Hi dear friends,

I would like to know if somebody could help me get the best translation for "chivo" (in advertising... a sort of commercial used for example on television) and the expression "ir al choque".

Thanks in advance!!!!

11 May 2010      

Chriss-MX
Mexico

I don �t understand you!!

No te entiendo hermano!!!

11 May 2010     

romynita
Argentina

Hi! I think I can help you: Connected to advertising, a "Chivo" is when, for example, you are the owner of a company and you are invited to a tv program and you name your brand without paying for it, to advertise you have to pay, but you son �t, yuou mention it when you are not supposed to say anything. spanish speakers say: "Paso un chivo..." And the other one, means that you want to quarrel with somebody. si vas al choque... is because you are eager to quarrel, to argue, you don �t want to keep anything for yourself, you are ready to defend yourself. It �s very colloquial. Both expressions are very informal and used only in certain contexts. Be careful when translating!!!!

11 May 2010     

yanogator
United States

From romynita �s explanation, it seems that a "chivo" is what we call a "plug" in the US. He was on TV and he plugged his company �s product. (or he put in a plug for his company �s product).

Bruce

11 May 2010     

newuser07
Argentina

Thanks for your help!!!Smile

11 May 2010