Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > summer homework    

summer homework

letizia
Italy

summer homework

I �d like to know what you usually do for summer homework...I mean, do you ask your ss to do revision workshhets, do you suggest some esl readings or what else? I need your precious suggestions for my 11-12 y.o. students!! thanks

13 May 2010      

s.lefevre
Brazil

I dont know, in my opinion vacations are vacations. I think that students have a lot of homework during the year, so during the vacations, they should be free to do things they like. You can suggest a reading, but I think you should not test it afterwards. I might be too soft, but that �s my opinion.

13 May 2010     

flaviatl
Argentina

I agree with you lefevre!

13 May 2010     

Mr Jazz
France

Lefevre is sooooo right... Give the kids a break so that they �ll be relatively happy to go back to school!

13 May 2010     

Olindalima ( F )
Portugal

Hi @Silvia

I think I know you are living in Brazil, but you are from Switzerland, am I wrong?
I think I can say that NOW YOU ARE BRAZILIAN
�cause you stated that
Vacations are vacations "
What other wonderful country could have this spirit of freedom, of living one day after another, miles away from stress -only my beloved Brazil.

Hi @ Letizia
Dear, you are Italian, you are from Mediterranean lands, you don �t belong to those people always fighting for more work - you, and me , too, are Latin - this means we can go well without work.

I think this should be stated all over the world : VACATIONS ARE VACATIONS.
NO WORK, NO STRESS; NO::: NOTHING.
As Italian say - DOLCE FARE NIENTE.
I �m looking forward for my month of dolce fare niente.
Let the poor kids live their lives, while they are just "poor kids " with nothing to do.

Hugs to you all,
Hope you all may enjoy some days of vacations, without homework - LOL
linda

13 May 2010     

s.lefevre
Brazil

Hi, Olindalima,
I �m from Austria, not Switzerland.
About vacations. As a I was not very good at maths, my mother ( not the teachers) made me do lots of extra work during vacations. Not only did n �t I learn anything ( I �m still bad at maths) , I also started to hate the subject and I asked my grandmother to help me with the task. And, of course, she did all my work. So, onde again: stop homework during vacations!

13 May 2010     

silvia.patti
Italy

I usually suggest a funny book to revise the topics of the year. It has got crosswords, games, readings... If you need some title, PM me.

Bye
Silvia

13 May 2010     

Olindalima ( F )
Portugal

Hi Silvia
Sorry for that, but Austria and Switzerland are neighbour countries . I knew you were from somewhere around, no intention, obviously. As I said before, now you are a  golden member of Brazilian Confederation.
And we are right - all work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.

BTW -what �s the weather like in your place? Which part of Brazil do you live? I �m, thinking of visiting some part of Brazil, again, and over again. What would you advise?

I think we could start a thread about our holidays, however, not sure, here in the forum, well...I �ll think about it.
Big hugs
linda

13 May 2010     

Pelletrine
France

You �re so right when you say STOP HOMEWORK DURING VACATIONS !
Vacation, means a break: with lots of other interesting things to do.... or the pleasure of having no guilt when you don �t want to do anything.
If a child/student really ASKS YOU for something to do during the vacation: it �s different; it means he wants to do so. But I really believe, neither parents nor teachers should ever ask a child to do schoolwork during vacation.
I know, you can always come up with exceptions... you �ve moved to a foreign country, and have to lean the language better/you �ve been very ill, and have to catch up with 5 months absence/you �ve lost a parent, so you �ve had other things on mind than study....But, believe me ( I know what I �m talking about ;o): it is really MUCH better for growing, if adults allow you REAL VACATIONS!
HUGS :o))

13 May 2010     

misseleonora
Argentina

Hey people, Letizia here needs help . . . May be is ss that do need extra homework.=)
I�d give them something that they will really enjoy doing. Probably starting asking what do you like the most? if its comics, then ask them to design a comic, if its theatre, then encourage them to create a play.
I am thinking about OPEN PROJECTS, where everybody can create something freely according to their wishes. ANd show them to the class when they are back to school, and you can also say there will be a prize for best job!
I hope it helps!Wink

13 May 2010