Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Concerning worksheets > Comics do not count as text    

Comics do not count as text

atsanti85
Canada

Comics do not count as text

Hello everybody,

Thought others could benefit from my experience.

I had a worksheet that used a cartoon as a text.  Reading comprehension questions were included asking about how to read the comic.  I thought that would be okay since written texts (from other sources) are allowed on a worksheet so long as we put questions (according to rules) but it was still reported/removed.

So!  A cartoon/comic doesn �t count as a text and will be reported.  Just letting you all know for future reference.

Aloha!

Edit after being contacted by a moderator: Add a bibliography/cite the source.  Should be okay.

13 May 2010      

MJ_Misa
Czech Republic

Sorry, but this sounds strange to me.
I saw cartoons used already and there was no problem with that. I guess maybe the problem of your cartoon is the copyright issue?

13 May 2010     

atsanti85
Canada

I was surprised when I found it reported too, since I �d seen some other worksheets.  Though given all the messages on the forum about being reported, I suspected it was only a matter of time before I got reported for something, lol.

Fortunately, I was just contacted by a moderator who advised me to explicitly cite the source of the graphics. So I �ve done that and it �ll be up tomorrow.  

So note: include a basic bibliography in all worksheets.  It �s a good idea.

Thanks for the sympathy.

Aileen

P.S., 
I �ll add this not as a complaint but as a suggestion?
If there isn �t already a way to communicate with moderators privately (that I don �t know about) when a worksheet gets reported, then maybe in future there could be?  This would be for someone who doesn �t want to flood the forum and draw attention to a "naughty" worksheet, for example.  

13 May 2010