Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Smart but Slow    

Smart but Slow

Sivi M
South Africa

Smart but Slow

Hi All 

Please will you try and assist me understand my 8 year old.   She is now grade 2.

The parents meeting were held recently and I was quite disappointed at what her teacher had to say

My daughter had maintained the top 3 position in her class in grade 1 and also got the academic achievement award in her class.   She wrote the  external tests and received the platinum award for them as well.

She started the first term in Grade 2, by maintaining the top 3 position in her class again.  Her Grade 2 teacher however, tells me that she is quite shocked that she did so well, cos she is very slow in doing her work in class.  She always has to say to my daughter to speed it up and finish her tasks. 

I have spoken to my daughter,   and I know by nature she is generally a slow child, in any task she carries, whether she brushes her teeth,  has a bath, or dresses for school.....  she just takes him time.  I sometimes have to scream as I am constantly getting late for work because of her slow nature.   No matter how early she gets up,  she just ends up taking her time. 

I normally set out worksheets so that when she gets home from school she does them.  (This is done after she has a little nap, and has her play time)

When I get home from work in the evening around 6:30 or so,  I go through the work I have given her plus her homework from school. 

I am beginning to worry about what her teacher had to say.   How do I change her habits from slow to being a little faster and also that when she does her work, she does it properly and at the same time check for accuracy.   She starts writing her exams/tests from the 24th May.  

She has being doing well thus far,  and I would like her to maintain that standard.  

Do you think that she is maybe bored or has a wondering mind?  How do I help her still be successful? 

All information and help will be most appreciated.  

14 May 2010      

MJ_Misa
Czech Republic

I sent you a PM.Wink

14 May 2010     

anitarobi
Croatia

I would love to have a magical solution for your problem, but I don �t. I also have a kid - a son who is a 1st-grader, very bright, so interested in many things, who just the other day asked me to eplain to him the difference between to play or to do as opposed to plays or did (in Croatian though - the infinitive and personal form), etc. but is terribly slow at doing school stuff(or his chores), sloppy at writing (keeps bolding letters he corrects instead of erasing and writing clearly), isn �t at all ashamed if he doesn �t do his best ("It doesn �t matter..." and waves it off), and I find myself repeating the same instructions all the time without (m)any results... His teacher is satisfied with him, but since I am not too thrilled with the teacher, I �m not really sure how he �s doing. Just the other day he did 3 small homework tasks by himself and it took him about 3 hours, with erasing each and correcting it 2-3 times, and the day before that, he did 5 difficult tasks in an hour and a half, plus 2 tasks I gave him (he asked me for it and we call them challenges)... Sometimes it seems school tasks are too boring for him(because they are covering stuff he already knows and the methods are too traditional - book&board, no challenging mind games), and sometimes I just feel he �s drawing attention to himself (we have a newborn so it wouldn �t be a surprise).
Anyway, what I wanted to say is I don �t think anybody has the perfect solution. I �ve recently talked to some friends who have kids 7-9 years old and they all have this problem. We all have our good days/weeks/months and not-so-good days - when our kids do their tasks and chores in a short time, with smiles on their faces, with lots of success and we feel like we �re doing our parents � job well; or the days when your ego gets a blow and you feel like a complete failure as a parent, like a drill sargeant nobody respects... But we �ve all agreed on one thing - our kids usually, almost always, have their reasons for doing what they do and how they do it - it is our job to try and find out what the reason is. It may be a different teacher, or a new friend/bully at school, or boring school material, or our high expectations, or the fact that they miss us while we �re at work... Give yourself and her some time together, some playtime (during which you may find out more than while trying to go for a serious talk) with her... perhaps she �s trying to tell you something but she �s not aware of it or doesn �t know how to...

15 May 2010