Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > "Already" and "yet" in questions    

"Already" and "yet" in questions

chenchen_castrourdiales
Spain

"Already" and "yet" in questions

Hi there,

One more time I need your help.Last week I started to explain the present perfect tense to my adult students. I also explained the uses of the words "already" and "yet". I told them the general rule says "already" is used in affirmative sentences both in the middle of the sentence or at the end of it [I have already done my homework / I have done my homework already] and "yet" in negative sentences [I haven �t done my homework yet] and questions [Have you done my homework yet?]. The point is that I remember once reading that "alredy can also be used in questions but I don �t remember in which contexts and the meaning "already" has in these contexts. Could you please help me and give me as many examples as you can think about to clarify my students the use of "already" in questions? Thanks in advance.

15 May 2010      

maikacaceres
Spain

As far as I know, tou can say:
Have you read that book yet? (The answer should be: Yes, I have/ No; I haven �t)
Have you finished that book already? ( It �s really an exclamation to show surprise, not a question)
The translation into Spanish would help "�Que ya te has acabado el libro?"

15 May 2010     

mena22
Portugal

Good morning to you! According to Michael Swan (Practical English Usage), you use already in questions to show surprise:

"Have you already finished? That was quick!" - The person shows surprise because you �ve finished it earlier than expected.

"Good heavens! Have you been to Belfast already?"
- The person shows surprise because the trip has taken place earlier than expected.

If you ask "Have you been to Belfast yet?, for example, it means that a trip is planned, the person doesn �t know if you �ve already gone or not.

Hope I could help.
Have a nice weekend,
mena

15 May 2010     

GIOVANNI
Canada

I fully agree with Mena.  You can also use already when you ask someone what they have already done. " What have you already done today?"  You know that the person has already done something and that they will give you an affirmative answer.

15 May 2010