Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Question regarding Testing a Student    

Question regarding Testing a Student

Colie
United States

Question regarding Testing a Student

Hello to Everyone:

I have a question I am hoping you can help me with. �I have been tutoring a student who is 10 years old. I have been teaching him for about 2-3 weeks. �I would like to give him a test to see how he is progressing and the parents are also asking that I do so as well. �I want to see how much he has retained. �It is my first time doing this and I don�t want to overwhelm him with so much information and testing. �I was thinking of doing this over a two day period since I teach him for two hours a day. �My question is how should I give him a test. �What should be the format of the test? �Should there be visuals? �Obviously, the content should be on what I have taught him but, should it be modified in some way. �I am accustomed to teaching and testing adults. �Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

PS. I would like to thank all of you who have helped me tremendously over the past few weeks. �I have been very busy with so many things on a personal and professional level. �Because I am a premium member, I have been able to download some beautiful worksheets that have really helped me with this student and gotten me through. �As soon as things quieted down, I was able to do my part and contribute more to the site. �Thank you for your patience, generosity and kindness.

Colie

23 Nov 2008      

libertybelle
United States

Hi Colie
There are many things to consider here.
First, after only 2-3 weeks, I think it is too early to evaluate him.
You have to evaluate him daily. Does he understand your easy
questions, can he answer the simple questions you pose him?
Does he remember the names of things?

Second - tests don�t always give the correct feedback you�re looking for.
Speaking English should be natural and tests are not natural situations.
The last thing you want to do at this early stage is make him feel as if
he�s a failure. A feeling of failure can have a devastating effect whereby
he gives up.
If you have to give him some sort of test - why not give him a flash card
test over the words  you have already had with him.
He�s only 10 - and you want to encourage his learning as much as possible.

That�s my opinion. I�ve been teaching English for 24 years and giving them
encouragement has given the best results.
Remember to say "well done" and good job!" daily.
good luck
Libertybelle

23 Nov 2008     

Jasmine99
Mexico

Hello Colie :)

Try to give them always flash cards and work sheet if that possible for you.
I think it is not problem if you exam them after two weeks to know if they understand your lessons or not.

23 Nov 2008     

Damielle
Argentina

Libertybelle is right. Besides, as this is not a formal situation, you can design tests that fit your pupil�s progress just to encourage him/her to go on working hard. In this case, when designing it, be sure that he/she is able to do it quite well.

Check your private messenger. I have sent you a mail about this.

23 Nov 2008     

Tere-arg
Argentina

Hi Colie,

As it was said before, at this stage -and always- what your student needs most is encouragement. As you need to have a test, try to be objective and focus on the basic knowledge he is supposed to have achieved by now.
As his/her teacher you know what he/she does well and what he/she finds more difficult. I would not test him on those weaknesses now, but instead I would try to work them harder.

The result of your test should be encouraging for both parents and student. You do know how you should go on working.
Parents do not usually understand these things so there is no case in explaining...

As regards the format, I would prepare something simple  exploring the four skills: listening, reading, writing and speaking).

Just through long experience...hoping to be of some help... Smile

23 Nov 2008     

blizzard1
Denmark

I agree with Libertybelle and damielle. Another important thing to do is to evaluate continuosly by getting feed back from your student. Does he understand your questions, can he remember vocabulary, sentences and so on. When testing your student you don�t need to tell him that it�s a test. You can for example give him wss to assess different skills. and you can also use flash cards to "play" with him and find out how much he can communicate orally.
Good luck.

23 Nov 2008