Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > Help with the order of the units    

Help with the order of the units

Crossman
Spain

Help with the order of the units

Hi everybody,

I�m preparing 15 didactic units for my syllabus for 1st year of Bachillerato (16-17 years students) for the competitive exam in Spain and I have a doubt:

my first idea was placing the reported speech units (one for statements and the second for questions and commands) at the end of the year, but I realised that the two units devoted to modal verbs fit better at the end as regards as the vocabulary and activities. So my question is: do you think that there is any problem if I place the reported speech units before the passive and the modals?

My doubt emerges because passive also deals with modals, as well as reported speech so it would be better place them before, but students are supposed to know them from previous years and if I arrange the topics again it would take me a lot of time and the exam is in a month.

I have look up sveral books and in most of them indirect speech is at the end.

So what do you think?

Thanks in advance.

16 May 2010      

caroay
Spain

I have the same doubt myself... but this is what I think:
1) You are right... reported speech is usually placed at the end... but I don �t really know way. I �ve asked myself that question many times. Reported speech is something that we need badly in order to communicate. Whenever we have a discussion, or we are asked to retell what we did (last summer.. etc.) So.. personally, I think it would be beneficial to teach it before.
2) I understand what you say about modals.. but actually, when you teach reported speech, you don �t really deal with modals in depth. You just point out the backshift changes. 
I would say change things around provided you feel comfortable with it and have an explanation supporting your decision.
I hope I was able to help you out... and let �s see what other people say!
Carolina

16 May 2010     

aliciapc
Uruguay

I would only add that I think reported speech is usually in the last units because it �s not possible to deal with tense change properly if you didn �t learn them before. Same happens with passive voice, I guess there �s a reason why those grammar points are usually dealt with after verb tenses ...

16 May 2010     

caroay
Spain

That �s a good point aliciapc.. but what about more advanced levels? Personally, I think reported speech should come after passive so as to be able to explain passive reporting constructions (if you have to teach them)
Ex: It is said that...
      She is known for... 
Any more ideas?

16 May 2010