Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Concerning worksheets > Our ws stolen!    

Our ws stolen!

blunderbuster
Germany

Our ws stolen!

Hi there,

I believe that if a ws gets 60 or more downloads and isn �t reported for the watermarked clipart it uses, there is no excuse.

People complain about their work being stolen all the time, when they see other people �s work stolen, it seems to be okay, though.

We are the good guys.
They are the bad guys.

Really?

Using watermarked clipart is theft. Not knowing what you do doesn �t mean that you cannot be held responsible for it.

What does "watermarked" mean? --> If there is a lighter-colored line through the picture, it is watermarked. If there are small semi-transparent signs in grey visible, it is watermarked.

Here is an example!

Regards

21 May 2010      

donapeter
Romania

Ok....The difference between the Turkish site and the used watermarks in a ws is that the person who uses the watermarked clip arts advertise in a way the producer...so...the producer �s name is displayed - people know where the clipart comes from and at the stolen wss- people do not know the producer/creator  of the worksheet. 

I do not agree using watermarked cliparts ..This is just a thought of mine! 

anyway......we can watermark our wss too!!! Word Office has this option and after that we can transfer them in Photoshop and we can send the un-editable version. 

I repeat : just a thought of mine. 

21 May 2010     

blunderbuster
Germany

Dona, I disagree. Most people who use watermarked clipart edit the watermarked part that is above white (=easy to edit) i.e. no advertising, just plain theft.

21 May 2010     

stexstme
France

hi! I agree with Dona ... & I �m not going to repeat her words - esp because I �m using my right hand ...( I �m left-handed!) In the reported section, I made a mistake not long ago : I wrote one could warn through pm first, before reporting. this comment was aimed at a ws which had only ONE pic, but I wrote it on another one!A bit stupid........ ( no smileys ???!)
My point is this : Many people here do not know they have watermarked pics in their PC, & many  cliparts links should not be sent here any more....Once, a member called Sylvia pmed me that one of my ws had one watermarked pic - I should be aware by now, cos I �ve been a member for quite a long time!!!- & I could not answer because at that time i was in the UK with 49 kids....Soooooo, when i got back, i discovered 1/ she had not reported my ws 2/ immediately updated it , sent a thank you note.
I know moderators cannot send pms to everyone, but when it is just one pic, why not try ???
This has nothing to do with people downloading ws from here, & sending them to another site ...Well, to me.
I do believe - too! - that we cannot use watermarked pictures, of course, dear regina.
hope i �m clear & please excuse any typos or lack of capital letters - ( broken left shoulder )
hugs to friends!
desperate housewife.......:o)))

edit : regina, i think you should rename your post as : what is a watermark ?
this could be useful, as you sent examples....
?
:o)))Sylvie

21 May 2010     

Mabdel
Morocco

thanks for risin the issue but still get confused.Could you put me on the full image. Thanks again

21 May 2010     

donapeter
Romania

"Most people who use watermarked clipart edit the watermarked part that is above white"

How can we prove that someone edited the clip art? Maybe it was bought. Hard to prove such things. I think even the producers can �t prove if that specific edited clipart is stolen and edited or it was bought and therefore..used. 
Our wss are uploaded only here ( with few exceptions) but none of us sold them. So...for us it�s easier to figure out that they were stolen. 

Until the theft is proved people have the presumption of innocence. 

THIS IS NOT AN URGE TO USE WATERMARKED CLIPART AND EDIT THEM! Just made a point! 

21 May 2010     

blunderbuster
Germany

Hi Silvie,

Get well soon!

I picked the name of this thread on purpose ;o) I knew more people would read it ;o) I am thinking about making various tutorials on FAQs  &  FMMs (Frequently Made Mistakes ;o))) anyway.

Dona, clipart that was paid for is provided watermark-free.

Regards

21 May 2010     

stexstme
France

please do make such tutorials!
BTW, the pics I use are from CDs I bought,....still my PC is full of watermarked pictures I got from ..... this site! ;o)))
& ... if people search the Forum about watermark cliparts, maybe they won �t have a look at yours ???? I understand your title, though... :o))))))))
edit : i�m glad you changed = i�m not keen on snakes ......Clown

21 May 2010     

Anna P
Brazil

I believe that members who upload wss with watermarked cliparts should be given the chance to update their work before they are reported.  Today, for example, I uploaded a ws that I have made a few months ago.  Some hours later I noticed one watermarked clipart and changed it before it was reported.  I have already removed all watermarked cliparts from my collection and updated a few ws so I hope will not have further problems but, if I overlooked one or two, I would like to be warned before being reported!
And I agree with Sylvie. Please keep uploading your creative wss, Regina, but not the tutorials!

21 May 2010     

AJFC
Portugal

Silvie: Hope you get better soon. Wink

A great weekend for all members.

Hugs from hot PortugalTongue

HugAJFC

21 May 2010     

blunderbuster
Germany

I believe Sylvie asked me to make those tutorials, Anna.

21 May 2010