Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > What is it called in english ??    

What is it called in english ??

miss noor
Palestine

What is it called in english ??

Hi,
can you tell me What this one in the picture is called ??

Thanks in advance,
Noor

22 May 2010      

SaNdRiTSs
Chile

its called bounce house

22 May 2010     

juliag
Japan

As a person from the UK I would say "bouncy castle."

22 May 2010     

tommy11
Thailand

The name given to such structures varies. They have been marketed with such names as Bounce houseMoon BounceAstro Jump,MoonwalkJolly jump and SpaceWalk. It should also be noted that the term �Jolly Jumps � is often used to describe the inflatable playground structure in rural areas and notably some areas in the Western US. Historically, names for inflatable structures, particularly in the United States, are composed of two, one syllable words. Thus, the popularity of terms such as Bounce House, Moon Bounce, Astro Jump, and Moonwalk can be seen. Typically names that are composed of two syllable words are obsolete and often shunned in certain communities such as the terms Jolly Jump, or Bouncy House. However, terms such as Bouncy castle or inflatable castle are used in Ireland, the UK, New Zealand and parts of Australia, and as jumping castles in Arizona, Australia, Canada and South Africa which deviate from the naming convention in the United States. The term moonwalk has become a generic term for enclosed inflatable trampolines in the US.

22 May 2010     

juliag
Japan

Thanks for that detailed explanation, Tom. I never knew there were so many different names for it and so much regional variation.

22 May 2010     

lshorton99
China

I would say �bouncy castle � and now have the urge to jump on one!

22 May 2010     

Joeyb1
South Africa

Here in South Africa we call it a "jumping castle". A huge hit at children �s parties.

22 May 2010     

Juliava
Germany

bouncy castle

22 May 2010     

bcrigler
United States

In the U.S., it is typically called a "Moon bounce."

22 May 2010