Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Activities which have to do with English speaking countries    

Activities which have to do with English speaking countries

yolprica
Spain

Activities which have to do with English speaking countries

Hello everybody,
In Spain we will finish the school year in mid-June and I would like to prepare some activities for the last day which are usually done in school or high schools in English speaking countries. I had thought of a cheer leaders dance, a bake sell stand??
Can you help me with other activities students from 13 to 18 may like?
I would be very grateful if you could give me more ideas.
Thanks in advance
Yolanda

22 May 2010      

anitarobi
Croatia

I love doing plays - with teenagers it can really be creative and fun. There are also great songs you can do (the inevitable Everybody �s Free by Baz Luhrman), but there �s also the idea of taking a familiar song your sts like and having them write new lyrics to the music about their own experiences during the school year - this can be so much fun, they can perform it before other sts or parents(all together or in pairs - one line, one pair), using costumes and props, you can video them... They can do so much, never underestimate teenagers. Just don �t expect them all to agree at once or all to do everything - I �ve had sts who wanted to write the lyrics, sts who wanted to perform the corresponding music, sts who just wanted to make costumes, shy sts who were announcers and read the text, sts who decorated the classroom... as long as you give them all an opportunity and credit (you can have them make their show �s poster with credits), everyone will have fun and remember this for life.
edit: sorry, I�ve just realized you want sth typical for English speaking countries. Why not have you and your sts write a play in which your sts play the parts of famous contemporary or historical figures from British, American, Australian etc. culture??? I�m sure they�d love to play Shakespeare meets J.K.Rowling, Robin Hood meets Mel Gibson, etc. (you�ll have better ideas, your sts even more, I�m just writing from the top of my hat now...)

22 May 2010     

yolprica
Spain

Thank you Anitarobi for you ideas but I would need something that doesn �t take too long to prepare as students are studying hard for their final exams and I can �t ask them to rehearse for hours a play or a musical. Something easier to carry out would be great.
Thanks anyway
Yolanda

22 May 2010     

teresapr
Portugal

What about selecting nice works they did throughout the school year and then joining classes from the same language level and presenting those works to the others? As they are busy now they wouldn �t need so much time for preparation and could exchange experiences!I �m thinking of role plays, talk shows, debates, songs,sketches...My students did it and loved !

23 May 2010     

yolprica
Spain

Thanks Teresa for taking the trouble to answer.

23 May 2010