Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Support Needed in Competition, Thanks a lot!    

Support Needed in Competition, Thanks a lot!

missmallo
Spain

Support Needed in Competition, Thanks a lot!

Hi!
 I need your support!
 We are a school in Spain and I was wondering if you could help.

My students are participating in a competition organized by Puleva, a milkshake brand in Spain.

I�d be very,very,very grateful if you could view our video

Every time you view it from now to the 15th of June we�ll get a vote.

http://competicion-batidos-puleva.ontwice.net/concurso/ver_video/?id=112 

Thanks a lot for your help and support.

A special thank you for those who keep voting every day

Miss Mallo

23 May 2010      

blunderbuster
Germany

Missmallo,

I don �t mean to be rude, but how many more times are you going to post this? You have been posting this for the last week, every single day but one. Isn �t this distorting the final result? I mean, the other groups don �t have the luxury of being rated by a worldwide crowd like yours is.

Regards

23 May 2010     

anaram
Spain

I totally agree with blunderbuster and this situation makes me ask myself a few questions which I�d like to share with you in the hope of finding interesting answers or at least, more questions. I think knowledge and learning is probably more about questions than answers.

1-      Is the stimulus of participating in a competition and getting a group working together rewarding enough to use schools as a forum to advertise products?

2-      What is our role as teachers? Should we concentrate in teaching English or our subjects (PE as this seems to be the case) the best we can or should we also aspire to teach general knowledge, citizenship and values and/or act as models to our students?

3-      Should the competitive spirit be reinforced at schools? If so, should we emphasize the sportsmanship and let the best win spirit or teach �real life� �law of the jungle� as early as possible to make our students stronger and more able to survive in our society?

Anyway, I really don�t want to be rude and I am truly convinced that Missmallo is very well- meaning as most people are most of the time.

23 May 2010     

latanzmaus
Austria

@blunderbuster:

I also don �t mean to be rude, but every other group in this competition has the chance/ luxury (whatever you want to call it) of trying to get more votes worldwide. There are hundreds of platforms such as facebook, twitter , etc so that everyone in our modern world has the opportunity to do this.
I think it �s mostly about having the energy to do it and to make people vote for you. In this case Missmallo is doing this not even for herself but for her young students. I mean you are complaining that she is trying to get votes for little children who hope to win a milkshake competition and nothing else!!! In your opinion, would you as their teacher prefer to have sad children who put all their energy into this project but then lost just for the sake of not "distorting the result" or would you also try everything within your possibilities to help your students?

@Missmallo: I think it �s great how you are trying to support your children! Teachers who are doing their best for them - that �s what our students need! Of course, I �ll vote for you guys. Suerte - os deseo lo mejor para esta competici�n!

Best regards

23 May 2010     

aliciapc
Uruguay

About anaram�s post :
Number one : definitely wrong, but big brands will do anything to get advertised. What they give as prizes means nothing to them in terms of money, compared to what they get by making all students and families aware of their products...
Number two : our job, I think, has to involve the whole person, not just our subject.
Number three: difficult point, competitiveness sometimes leads to abusive behaviour by students... Everything has to have a certain balance... I guess competing in a group makes students get the meaning of team work and they try to excel at the same time ...
Good anaram! Your reply should bring up some other comments !

23 May 2010     

blunderbuster
Germany

Hey Tanzmaus,

I didn �t say anything the first six times she asked for votes.

;o)

23 May 2010     

lshorton99
China

I have to agree with blunderbuster here. It �s fine to post this once or twice but it has been every day and it �s not related to English language teaching in any way. I �m all for encouraging healthy competition but this is basically a marketing tool for a drinks company in Spain. She �s posted, interested teachers have supported it but doing it every day is a bit much. YMMV

Lindsey

23 May 2010     

almaz
United Kingdom

latanzmaus

A bit of a non-argument, surely? I �m sure you �re not suggesting that what MissMallo �s doing is purely for her students (by the way, I wouldn �t say they were �little children � - somewhat  emotive language there) while the rest of the teachers are doing it for some other, possibly self-aggrandizing, purpose. So, why don �t we throw our support behind every school in the milkshake competition and click on every clip? After all, they are all our colleagues too.

I have to agree with bb: MissMallo �s constant pleading for support is wearing a bit thin.

23 May 2010     

MJ_Misa
Czech Republic

I have to agree with Regina (blunderbuster). I don �t agree with her very often but repeated pledges for support are too much for me. And sorry, but I found pages of this competition and voted for different school than this one above, because there were smaller children with great choreography - and they were soooooooo sweet. I was also thinking about sending the link for others to see them, but I don �t think this kind of behaviour is fair to other schools.Disapprove

23 May 2010     

blunderbuster
Germany

Michaela.....you should agree with me more often.... ;o) Some highly-paid professionals rely on my opinion on a regular basis Geek

23 May 2010     

MJ_Misa
Czech Republic

Sorry, dear Regina - I always rely on my own mindWink

23 May 2010     

1    2    Next >