Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > What īs the correct way to say this ?    

What īs the correct way to say this ?

aliciapc
Uruguay

What īs the correct way to say this ?

Hi everyone, I īm preparing a ws and needed to find 2 ways to say "doing the laundry" : can we say "washing" clothes ? or is the only correct way  the first one ?
Can anyone help, please ? Thank you !

23 May 2010      

magneto
Greece

You can use both. I just think that "doing the laundry" mostly refers to using a washing machine for the task, as opposed to hand-washing. I īm not sure about that, though.

23 May 2010     

aliciapc
Uruguay

Thank you , magneto, it īs clear enough for me !

23 May 2010     

anaram
Spain

You can also use "do the washing", which is more specific for just washing clothes, while do the laundry can sometimes include washing and ironing.

I hope it helps.

23 May 2010     

aliciapc
Uruguay

Thank you anaram, I definitely needed hand-washing for my sentence, but your explanation was useful too!

23 May 2010     

GIOVANNI
Canada

You will find on some clothes a sign that says "hand wash only ", so I would say "hand washing" would be acceptable.

23 May 2010     

joy2bill
Australia

I would always say "I īm going to do the washing." "Can you bring the washing in for me?"
I don īt know whether this is perculiar to people downunder or my generation.
Doing the laundry seems more formal to me and suggests going to a laundromat while on holiday.
We do, however, call the room we do the washing in  īthe laundry �.
Cheers Joy

23 May 2010     

aliciapc
Uruguay

Thank you, Giovanni and Joy !

23 May 2010