Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > FCE Pronunciation lesson ideas    

FCE Pronunciation lesson ideas

lshorton99
China

FCE Pronunciation lesson ideas

Hi everyone!

My FCE students have asked to do a lesson on pronunciation to improve it before their exam. I �ll be honest, it �s probably my weakest area so filling an hour and a half with it will be somewhat challenging.

I was wondering if anyone here had some ideas for activities that could work. They �re all Spanish so things like weak forms and intonation would probably be my focus, maybe minimal pairs - i �m not really sure!

I �ll probably combine it with general preparation for the speaking exam, which I have got plenty of materials for but any ideas would be gratefully received!

Thanks a lot

Lindsey

24 May 2010      

Kohaku
Japan

This is a free resource. You can download the material. I hope its useful!

http://lorijoy.globat.com/spanish.html

http://lorijoy.globat.com/english.html

24 May 2010     

lshorton99
China

Thanks Kohaku but my students are learning English! The resources will be very useful for my niece however!

24 May 2010     

arielka
Poland

I would recommend the book HOW NOW BROWN COW
there are short dialogues  with audio
and pairs of words with the similar pronunciation

Here is the link for the book
http://rapidshare.com/files/165494778/brown_cow.rar

Here you have audio (at the bottm of the page)
http://chomikuj.pl/ROSJANECZKA/J*c4*98ZYKI+OBCE+-+mn*c3*b3stwo+r*c3*b3*c5*bcno*c5*9bci/Angielski/Nauka/HOW+NOW+BROWN+COW

that is a great book!

24 May 2010     

atsanti85
Canada

Hello lshorton99,

It �s good to focus on minimal pairs (words that are similar except for one sound... ship and sip).  I �d begin with common errors made by Spanish students.

I also make use of tongue twisters to help students iron out particular points of pronunciation.
Peter picked a pick of pickled peppers, you see, but she sold seashells by the seashore :P

I �ve found it helpful to work on key phrases.  For an exam, it �s likely that they will be asked to express what they think or what is their opinion on something so grammatical constructions and vocabulary involving this may help.

I �m not sure if my suggestions are too general for you but I do hope they help.

:)

P.S., I just got some more ideas.  For intonation, you can ask them to read/recite English poetry.  Even translations of Spanish to English (like Pablo Neruda) but also some silly poems too (check out Shel Silverstein and Dennis Lee).  There are audio versions of these poems as well so they can listen to them.  They can discuss the poems with each other afterward.

24 May 2010     

aliciapc
Uruguay

Hi Lindsey, I know there is a great poem (I don �t know if it �s an English author or anonymous) about pronunciation, especially vowel combination sounds, which are the most difficult for us Spanish speakers... I know a member here once gave it to me so I �ve just PMed her . If or when she lets me know of the thread, I �ll tell you. I think it �ll be really useful ... and fun - it �s impossible in some parts to get it right !!

24 May 2010     

tommy11
Thailand

I highly recommend the following:

For Spanish students, perhaps look at units 1,2 and 4. 

24 May 2010     

Lindax
Ukraine

I`d recommend to start and finish the lesson with a jazz chant. That`s what I ve been doing for quite a while, and my students love �this kind of activity

file://localhost/D:/Grammar/Jazz_Chants/Jazz%20Chants/Carolyn%20Graham%20-%20Jazz%20Chants,%20%20ESL.htm

If you have any problems with it, just e-mail me and I`ll send you whatever you need.

Have a nice week!

24 May 2010     

anitarobi
Croatia

Tongue twisters are fantastic for this - short and highly effective, songs as well (even some rap songs, believe it or not), limericks are great for rhythm (and fun to do, we had a post here at the forum some months ago when we teachers even tried to make them), and there �s a fantastic poem about English pronunciation which starts with Dearest creature in creation... It �s called English is Tough Stuff. Here are the links for some of these...
and here �s sth for fun - I hope you all forgive me for posting this at the forum, but I couldn �t resist it - I played it for my sts to boost their confidence.

24 May 2010     

lshorton99
China

Thanks everyone - you �re all awesome!!!

xxx

25 May 2010