Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > children īs duties    

children īs duties

zeina monzer
Lebanon

children īs duties

hello everyone,

I am teaching  a group of handicapped teenagers who are "over saturated " with their rights and what our duties ( their teacher) toward them.
Now the unit that we are going to study is children īs rights ,( again THEIR RIGHT :) ) So beside teaching them their rights i want to teach them about their duties as students and as well as responsible grown ups.

what i need is comprehension texts about their duties (plllllllllz help me ).

thank you in advance

26 May 2010      

almaz
United Kingdom

I sympathize with you on this imbalance between īrights � and īresponsibilities � (over the years, I īve noticed that my pupils tend to get full marks on the former and zip on the latter!)
Anyway, there īs a fairly basic overview (designed for children) of Childrenīs rights produced by Unicef to which theyīve added a section on a childīs responsibilities - which they īve lifted from an outfit called World Goodwill. I have some problems with this type of endorsement but it might give you a basis for a study unit - the language is accessible at least. You īll find it here (it īs in pdf format):

26 May 2010     

zeina monzer
Lebanon

thank you very much almaz,
 i assure you that the make me SUFFER
 i wish i can solve this problem
thanks again

26 May 2010     

atsanti85
Canada

Hi zeina,

I couldn īt find a specific reading comprehension text that fits what you īre looking for.  Maybe it would be good for you to write your own text to your students about YOUR rights, as a teacher, and the rights of THE SCHOOL, and the rights of ELDERLY, and OTHER STUDENTS AROUND THEM.  By writing a letter, you make it a personal thing that they can relate to.  You can also have a very good discussion about it so that they can see you are serious about the topic.

A personīs rights are connected to other peopleīs duties.
This works both ways.  Teachers have duties towards their students because students have the right to an education, etc.  Students have the duty to respect their teacher because their teacher has the right to be appreciated as a person and valued, etc....

I think it īs a really good idea to focus on their duties!
Some things to check out that may help...

* Talking about being someone of character, with a good attitude

It sounds like the start of a really exciting unit!  

:) 

26 May 2010     

almaz
United Kingdom

I agree, Atsanti, writing your own text - personalizing it in whatever genre - would help give the students a different, but equally valid, perspective.

26 May 2010     

lshorton99
China

I have the same problem with students - far too aware of their rights and not of their responsibilities. Have you tried looking at how they got their rights - what the world used to be like and how it changed - who did what? It sometimes works!

Lindsey

26 May 2010     

blunderbuster
Germany

Hum, good ole JFK probably won īt help?

"Don īt ask what your country can do for you....."

Regards

26 May 2010     

almaz
United Kingdom

B,

Be a love and don īt confuse rights and responsibilities with cheap political soundbites...

26 May 2010     

Jayho
Australia

Hi Zeina

If you google this issue youīll see that the current young generation of any time has historically been called the me generation. Fast forward several decades and they become the we generation.

Yesterday I posted an interesting youtube video on this subject in the cafe.  It was created by a young adult who looked at what are like now, then using palindrome techniques, turned it into what it they would be like when they are 50.  Not only is it cleverly done it īs really thought provoking.  Maybe you could use it as part of your lesson.  Take  look at my post in the cafe.

Cheers

Jayho

27 May 2010     

donapeter
Romania

A very good set of cards regarding this topic.I put them on the walls on my class. 

27 May 2010     

kodora
Greece

Thanks Dona, really really nice and helpful!

27 May 2010