Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Help me please!    

Help me please!

Hanni9
Vietnam

Help me please!

Help me with this sentence
He is the tallest person in my class --> Noone in my class is as tall as him OR Noone in my class is taller than him. I am not sure about the second sentence. I wonder whether i can use comparative form to rewrite. Thanks in advance

28 May 2010      

Apodo
Australia

Yes you can use the comparative form:
He is the tallest person in my class.
No-one in my class is as tall as him
No-one in the class is taller than him / he is.

Although we usually use taller than him when speaking informally, the correct form is taller than he ( is tall).
It depends whether �than� is acting as a conjuncion or a preposition and this particular argument about English usage has been going on for years.

An explanation is given here:
Quote:
So remember, than he and than him are both defensible, but not all grammar mavens feel this way. Therefore, I would avoid the prepositional use in formal settings, such as a research paper or job interview�and I would argue, advertising, but Cadbury obviously feels otherwise. The usage note in The American Heritage Dictionary (4) agrees: �The writer who risks a sentence like Mary is taller than him in formal writing must be prepared to defend the usage against objections of critics.� Unfortunately, defending your grammar during an interview is not the best way to make a good impression.

28 May 2010     

superjorgito
Peru

hi there, I don�t know what to  do . mY PROBLEM is tht  I CAN�T  SEND ANY PRINTABLE. for more than a month an I don�t know what have happened. Plea can you tell what can I do, cause I have five workshet That I want to uplload to this wed site.  Thanks a lot fo your help

29 May 2010