Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Help with a sentence    

Help with a sentence

caroay
Spain

Help with a sentence

Hi dear ESLprintables friends!
I need your help with the following sentence:

Traditional Prescriptive grammar is based on literary works of highly reputed authors. 

Does it sound OK??

Thanks for your help!
Carolina

28 May 2010      

aliciapc
Uruguay

Wouldn �t it sound better if you use "by" instead of "of" ?

28 May 2010     

almaz
United Kingdom

Carolina, 

For a kick-off, I �d say that it �s not a collocation I would use. I would suggest highly respected or, if you must use repute,  then I �d suggest �authors of high repute � (a bit dated) or �reputable authors � (I have to say, though, that some of my favourite authors are thoroughly disreputable).

Whatever term you use, however, bear in mind that �traditional prescriptive grammarians � tend to base their �rules � on whatever author or corpus that seems to support their peevish notions. 

In my opinion.

28 May 2010     

anaram
Spain

I �m not a native speaker but I think reputed is "thought to be"and can be positive or negative, while reputable is positive; it sounds ok to me and the collocation is registered in the oxford collocations dictionary  http://www.lixiaolai.com/ocd

28 May 2010     

erdemoglu
Turkey

I think the sentence is ok!
"works of highly reputed authors."  is a  compound noun, so "of" is necessary according to the English Grammar. And the word of "reputed" is also an adjective.

28 May 2010     

caroay
Spain

Thanks everybody for your answers! It sounded to me a little "bookish" so to say...
Alex, I agree with you on your view of prescriptive grammar... I was thinking of saying "highly reputed authors" between inverted commas!
Thanks again!
Carolina

28 May 2010     

Apodo
Australia

Traditional Prescriptive grammar is based on literary works of highly reputed authors. 

As a native speaker I would write: I prefer number 1

1. Traditional Prescriptive grammar is based on the literary works of highly reputed authors. 
or
2. Traditional Prescriptive grammar is based on literary works by highly reputed authors. 

29 May 2010