Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > INFORMAL ENGLISH    

INFORMAL ENGLISH

mfzmoura
Brazil

INFORMAL ENGLISH

Hey, guys! How are things?
What �s your opinion about informal English? Do you think it helps or harms the learning of the language as whole? Should it be taught in schools?
Hope to hear from you!
Regards, Matheus

29 May 2010      

maria da rosa
Brazil

Harms the learning of the language for beguinners.

29 May 2010     

ELOJOLIE274
France

what do you mean by informal English?
i was taught was "isn �t" is informal while "is not" is more formal - and i teach both forms to my pupils.
obviously, i don �t teach slang or swear words to my pupils, but i do show them English as it is written/spoken by native speakers, and telling them what wanna and gonna mean isn �t harmful according to me if for example we �re studying an email or watching a video.
i think we should teach all kinds of English and informal vs formal English is as important to teach as English vs American English.
the older the pupils, the more we should teach informal English because that �s what they will hear on TV, or read if they go to a chatroom!

then again, i �m not talking about words like f***,b****...

have a nice day/evening
Elodie

29 May 2010