Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > TOP    

nikolai
Bulgaria

Can you help me, please?
What kind of clothes is top?

31 May 2010      

savvinka
Russian Federation

Hi, look at this, pls

http://www.google.ru/images?hl=ru&q=top%20shirts&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi

31 May 2010     

PhilipR
Thailand

Anything you wear on the top part of your body. This is usually used for women �s clothes, as there are so many pieces of clothing that are difficult to categorise (apart from T-shirt, shirt, blouse, spaghetti-strap thingies etc.). Just imaging the stuff Lady Gaga wears...

If you don �t wear anything, you �re topless... Embarrassed

31 May 2010     

johanne23232
Israel

A top simply means a shirt or blouse.

31 May 2010     

joy2bill
Australia

I love PhillipR �s spaghetti strap thingies...great description.

I love giving my students words such as thingumajig, whatsaname, thingo, thingamebob, whatsit, whatsimacallit, whositwhatsit, howsyafather, whoflickie, etc

There is no offical spelling for them but as native speakers we use them whenever we can �t think of the correct word.

There are many others but these are all I could think of, off the cuff.

Cheers Joy

31 May 2010     

lshorton99
China

That �s really interesting joy - I use them too. Perhaps we could find out how you say �thingumajig � in different languages - it might be interesting!

In Spanish, I know they use �chisme � when they can �t find the word - any others �

Lindsey

31 May 2010