Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > I NEED A PIECE OF ADVICE    

I NEED A PIECE OF ADVICE

anamb7
Argentina

I NEED A PIECE OF ADVICE

Hi,
Sad news: Last Friday, one of my pupils (12), lost his father in a very tragic event. I was notified on Saturday, very late at night, and yesterday it was impossible for me to go to his burial. I don �t think the child will attend school today or this week, but how should I proceed with the rest of the class, and with him when he returns to the class? I really don �t know what to do as it �s never happened to me before. Can anybody give me an idea of what to do or say. It �s a very difficult moment for me an my children who love this child very much.
Thanks in advance!!!
Hugs, ANA

31 May 2010      

juliag
Japan

Hi Ana,
How terribly sad for the boy, and also for you and the rest of the class.
I �ve never been in this kind of situation so I don �t really know what to suggest, but I saw that noone had replied to your post yet (probably because it is such a difficult situation) so wanted to say something to you at least.

I would say go with your instincts. You know the boy and the rest of the class and what they need the best. So do what feels right.

Depending on the age and personality of the class, I feel it may be helpful to talk with the other classmates before the boy comes back about what has happend and ask them to be sensitive. Maybe make lists together of things you could all do to help him feel that he is surrounded by good, caring and loving friends/teachers. I think that is the most important thing for you all to do - to show him the love you all feel for him, to be there for him when he needs it, to give him space when he needs it,  to encourage him but not push him to continue with his life despite the pain and sadness.

As I don �t know the inidivual involved it �s rather difficult to say, but my instinct would be not to make too much of a big thing about it when he gets back. Of course you as the teacher should say how the whole class feels for his loss and let him know that if he needs any extra help/support/a shoulder to cry on etc. you will be there for him, but I kind of imagine that getting back into a familiar routine will be quite consoling for him, so I think that other than a brief talk with him (not sure but probably privately is best) you should just go about your class routines as normal, obviously watching out to see how he is doing.

Is there a counsellor affiliated to the school he can talk to? Or a close adult friend/teacher? If so, it may help him to talk through things with them when he is ready.

I guess what i really want to say is let him heal in his own time and show him all the time how much you and the rest of the class love and care for him. And be patient if he becomes difficult, but don �t turn a blind eye if he turns impossible.

Is this any help to you? I do so hope so.
Good luck with everything, I �ll be thinking of you.
A big hug
Julia

31 May 2010     

blunderbuster
Germany

Ana,

I lost my dad when I was seven and went back to school right away. Nobody treated me differently, at least I didn �t feel it. Retrospectively, I think that was best. Quite often people who try to help too much actually put more stress on people instead of relieving it. Talk to the head teacher about tests, though.
Regards

31 May 2010     

mariamit
Greece

Hi Ana,
I had a similar situation two years ago. One of my students lost her father and her brother in a traffic accident. Our counsellor adviced both the students and the faculty to do what both  Julia and REgina suggested: not to treat the student any differently. We were told that we could offer our condolences but not discuss it unless the girl indicated that she wanted to talk about it. Luckily we have an agency that provided psychological support and that was the best.
I hope this helps.
Regards

31 May 2010     

anamb7
Argentina

You �ve  really helped me, dear friends. Thanks a lot!
My regards to you all
Ana

31 May 2010     

magneto
Greece

Do not treat the boy differently. When I lost my dad and my teachers tried to show understanding, I got mad because I thought they pitied me. Keep a discreet watch on the boy, but do not let him or the class understand you may be a bit more lenient on him.

31 May 2010