Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > at/ in a restaurant    

at/ in a restaurant

ignis.fatuus
Poland

at/ in a restaurant

dear friends,
i need some help, please. tomorrow i �m teaching a lesson and one of the points says :
They are going to a restaurant. but
They �re at a restaurant.
i guess they �ll ask me why it �s says "at a restaurant" not "in a restaurant". are both these forms correct and if not, is there a difference? 
thanks in advance and have a lovely evening (or day, depends on which part of the globe you are)
martyna

31 May 2010      

starryargenta
United Kingdom

Both are correct but with slightly different meanings. As there �s no context in your example it �s hard to give a definite answer. At a restaurant is more general , e.g Where are they? At the restaurant
In gives more emphasis to their position e.g. They are sitting in (inside) the restaurant.

31 May 2010     

ignis.fatuus
Poland

oh, there is no context in the book. there �s just a picture of people dining out and the caption says: They �re at a restaurant. i thought that in a restaurant means more the building and at the restaurant is just the idea that they are eating out somewhere. i �m not sure if i �m right and i don �t know if my ss will get it right.

31 May 2010     

Babs1966
France

I�m looking for other explanation but
here is a lesson on video about at-on-in
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efuX_K-6ThY

Here is an other one ;)

31 May 2010     

magneto
Greece

I think both are correct. I �ve heard "at" used more frequently, but both are correct. Starryagenta �s explanation of the difference in meaning seems right. 

31 May 2010     

yanogator
United States

Yes, I agree with Starryargenta. With businesses and some other places, we use "at" when we are there for the intended purpose, and "in" when just the physical location is important. I can be "at home" when I am outside in the yard or "in the house" (never "in home", and "in the home" means I am at a special facility for old people, and especially old people with special needs).

The students are at school all day. There is a beautiful statue in the school.
We ate at my favorite restaurant. There isn �t a public telephone in the restaurant.
I saw a great movie at the theater last night. It was very cold in the theater.
Mom is at the store. You couldn �t find her there? I guess she was in the shoe repair shop at that time. ("at the shoe repair shop" would also be correct, depending on whether the speaker �s emphasis was that she was doing business there, or just that she wasn �t in the grocery store).

However, the rule is reversed for some other locations:
My uncle is in the hospital. My aunt is at the hospital today visiting him.
Fred is in jail. His brother is at the jail now, bailing him out.

I hope this is helpful, rather than confusing!
Bruce 

31 May 2010     

ignis.fatuus
Poland

wow! thanks for the quick reply, it �s more clear now
hugs from rainy poland!

31 May 2010     

almaz
United Kingdom

Perhaps it might be clearer if you used the name of the restaurant/location with the act of dining/eating. There �s the old cartoonist �s staple: Eat at Joe �s! (nobody would say Eat in Joe �s!). Likewise, I might say that I �m having a meal at my brother �s tonight (never in my brother �s) but I love being in Maxim �s (I just can �t afford to eat there...)

31 May 2010     

ignis.fatuus
Poland

wow! thanks for the quick reply, it �s more clear now
hugs from rainy poland!

31 May 2010     

savvinka
Russian Federation

I �ve got a question foк Yangator!
For me the difference between using the prepositions in and at - is clear more or less (as it could be clear for a not- native speaker), but in any way I �ve read yr explaination with a great interest. Thank you very much!
I want some other clarification. The articles are the most difficult part of speach to use, sts often ask questions so I try not to forget all the rules and exceptions. So, I read in one of the grammar text books that we never use article with HOSPITAL, apart from the case when we are on visit there. Yr sentence:
My uncle is in the hospital. My aunt is at the hospital today visiting him.
                       contains the article in both cases? 
                       Is it possible?
Thank you,
Olga

31 May 2010     

yanogator
United States

I �m sorry, Olga. I forgot to mention that I was giving US English examples. In British English, they use "in hospital", but in the US, we say "in the hospital". There aren �t many differences in the use of "the", but that one stands out.

Bruce

31 May 2010     

1    2    Next >