Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > consist in,of or on????    

consist in,of or on????

jana&lino
Spain

consist in,of or on????

I always have doubts with this verb.I think that consist of refers to the composition of something;consist in=when we deal with a definition,and consist on?????
I need some help,please!!!!
thanks

1 Jun 2010      

johanne23232
Israel

The answer is  CONSIST OF
Smile

1 Jun 2010     

frenchfrog
France

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/consists

1 Jun 2010     

postaci61
Turkmenistan

consist of

1 Jun 2010     

Lina Ladybird
Germany

The job of a bus driver mainly consists in driving a bus. ;))

--->  "Consists in" is followed by a verb / gerund.

Our raspberry ice-cream mainly consists of milk, cream, sugar and fresh fruit.

--->  "Consists of" is followed by a noun.

I think the expression "consist on" doesn�t exist.

I hope I got it right... If not, tell me, please!! :))))

1 Jun 2010     

fifey
United Kingdom

Actually we would use it as � consists of �. For example: The board consists of many experienced people. Hope this helps. I can see the confusion, but my mother tongue is English.

1 Jun 2010     

Lina Ladybird
Germany

I �ve just found 2 threads which might be of some help:

And here�s another link:

It seems that my explanation of the expression "consist in" was only partly correct! ;))

1 Jun 2010     

fifey
United Kingdom

I think consists in driving a bus is fine, but we would always look for the better solution. We probably would say, �The main job of a bus driver is to drive the bus �. This just simplifies things, and makes he language much more understandable. Why use more expressions to get to the same point? We can make English to complex sometimes. 

1 Jun 2010     

Lina Ladybird
Germany

Why use more expressions to get to the same point?

When I speak English or any other foreign language, I simply like to be flexible and therefore capable of expressing certain things in different ways.

Imagine writing a text in which you would have to use the expressions "consists of" or "consists in" repeatedly, because you�re not able to say anything else. I would hate that... 

IMHO, it �s not a disadvantage to have a large word pool to choose from - on the contrary!! ;)

1 Jun 2010     

fifey
United Kingdom

When you have a large pool of words at your fingertips you can afford to simplify  things. I do think that vocabulary expansion is vital, but i also think that being clearly understood is as important, if not more than. I suppose as a native English speaker i just speak as  we would normally do things, but then it is always open to interpretation. That �s what makes language flexible, the ability to have the confidence to simplify things.
When writing text, it is vital not to repeat as it becomes boring. It would also be marked down as not being able to have a better use of language.

1 Jun 2010     

lshorton99
China

I don �t think I �ve ever used �consists in � - �consists of � would be the only one I �d use. That �s not saying that you can �t say it - I think sometimes native speakers know less about their own language than non-native speakers (when I started my CELTA years ago, I didn �t even know we had a present perfect - all my knowledge of grammar came from studying Spanish!!!!!!)

Lindsey

2 Jun 2010     

1    2    Next >