Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Jokes about bad pronunciation and its result on communication - TO USE WITH ADULT LEARNERS ONLY    

Jokes about bad pronunciation and its result on communication - TO USE WITH ADULT LEARNERS ONLY

magneto
Greece

Jokes about bad pronunciation and its result on communication - TO USE WITH ADULT LEARNERS ONLY

Ok, these are really funny, but they use some bad language. So, they �re only useful for you to have a good laugh yourself or for your adult learners, to see if they will get the joke...just make sure their respect for you is unshakeable.

1. The Italian man who went to Malta:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rsvu5Sz8bTw

2. Heathrow Airport prank announcement...Pronunciation issues reversed...When English people cannot read (fake) foreign names...:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGvWPY1AjcI

...Perhaps for this you should hand the names out to your students to see how they will pronounce themWink. Here they are:

1. Arheddis Varkenjaab and Aywellbe Fayed
2. Arhev Bin Fayed and Bybeiev Rhibodie
3. Aynayda Pizaqvick and Malexa Kriest
4. Awul Dasfishbeda and Nawaynayda Zheet
5. Makollig Jezvahted and Levdaroum DeBahzted
6. Steelaygot Maowenbach and Tuka Piziniztee

...Pardon my FrenchLOL
Have a great day!

2 Jun 2010      

frenchfrog
France

One of my students pronounced the movie Twilight "toilet"!! LOL (or maybe Cry) LOLLOL

2 Jun 2010     

magneto
Greece

Poor Frenchfrog...Cry Students can disappoint you so much sometimes...Hope the videos will make you laugh!
BTW, my students� favourite pronunciation or mis-hearing mistake (ALWAYS on purpose, of course, since they�re teenagers and their mind is focused on very specific things...) has always been this tiny phrase: "fact sheet"...I think what they always hear and say is pretty obvious...Wink

2 Jun 2010     

anitarobi
Croatia

Magneto, I did both of these with my high school sts some time ago - they were actually the ones who brought the material to me. I know I shouldn �t have perhaps, but they were such a great group, really nice kids, and this was done with them as a reward for being so fantastic (they all passed their FCE with As and Bs!!!) and it was absolutely great and actually useful (we used the Italian to write proper letters of complaint). Afterwards I did the material with my adult classes for fun, and there was even some bitter laughter when a tourist worker shared with us that the Italian guys letter was not far from what she got from some people who thought they spoke perfect English...

2 Jun 2010     

donapeter
Romania

Beat this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
LOL

2 Jun 2010     

coyote.chus
Spain

What about this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch#!v=cUEkOVdUjHc&feature=related

2 Jun 2010     

zoemorosini
United States

Try this site:

http://www.cartalk.com/content/about/credits/credits.html

They �re all made-up names for "jobs" of "people" who work on a radio show in the USA.  When you sound them out they �re hilarious.

Enjoy!

2 Jun 2010     

Babs1966
France

Magneto ;)

Thum �s up for the man who went to Malta Thumbs Up
2. Heathrow Airport prank announcement ... EXCELLENT

donapeter loved you link Wink ... chus estebanez Embarrassed

THANKS you �ve made my day Magneto ... I burst out laughing

Have a great day all

Babs

2 Jun 2010     

magneto
Greece

Dona, Chus, Zoe...come on, people! You �re killing me!!!

@ Anita
...Really? You�ve used these with high school students...Interesting...And all hell didn�t break loose? No problems with the headmaster? Perhaps I should try that myself...
Congrats for their exam results, by the way!Clap

@Babs

Glad to have made you laughHug

2 Jun 2010