Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > HOT TOPICS IN CLASS    

HOT TOPICS IN CLASS

LittleSunshine11
Germany

HOT TOPICS IN CLASS

Dear friends,

I was wondering... What are the "HOT TOPICS" in your class/classes? I �m speaking of language learning, not political or religious etc. problems.
I �m trying to work on a general/global/overall guide for my students to give them for future reference.
Of course I have a list of specific issues for my classes like:

- tenses (BIG ONE!!!!) Tongue
- essential phrases
- active vs. passive voice
- conditionals
- reported speech
- prepositions etc.

But I �m interested in your experience... It �s not meant to be for beginners, but for up to upper-intermediate students.
What do you think?

Thanks for helping! Handshake
Love, Kathy

3 Jun 2010      

viccxx
Greece

For my students it �s tenses and tenses and tenses again. If they have gaps in their understanding of tenses, then passive voice and reported speech becomes a nightmare. One of the biggest problems are also phrasal verbs, especially since most exams require that you have a very good grasp of them.

3 Jun 2010     

savvinka
Russian Federation

For my sts its still difficult to follow the grammar rules (tenses, for example) in speech.
it looks like they know the theory, but when they speak they are making a lot of silly mistakes!

3 Jun 2010     

magneto
Greece

Same as Savvinka, plus use/ omission of articles, conditionals and relative clauses with prepositions. And they generally tend to have trouble applying grammatical rules to writing tasks.

3 Jun 2010     

joy2bill
Australia

Articles, prepositions, the correct use of how and what, answering negative tag questions.... these are just a few that come up frequently.

3 Jun 2010     

denfer
Czech Republic

For an overall review guide I would add  : articles, quantifiers, modals, verb patterns, rel. clauses, wish clauses, forming questions,  question tags , phrasal verbs , reflexive pronouns ...Poor students :-))

3 Jun 2010     

mariaelaine
Malta

The same however we also have phrasal verbs which most students find challenging.

3 Jun 2010