Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > special, especial, especially, specially    

special, especial, especially, specially

chenchen_castrourdiales
Spain

special, especial, especially, specially

Hi everybody,

Once again I need your help. I always have trouble with these words. I have some sort of idea about when to use them but I �m not good at giving good examples or a good explanation to my students about them. Could you please help me? Thanks in advanced.

3 Jun 2010      

Babs1966
France

special is particular

especial has a sence of exceptionnal, if you like something in particular ...

especially has a higher degree of intensity in the meaning as being exceptionnal too

specially it �s when you specify something

Depending on the intensity you want to give in your sentence you use either one of them ;)

Not an academic explanation but that �s what came to my mind Wink

Hope I was clear, good day or night,

Babs

3 Jun 2010     

kodora
Greece

http://www.ldoceonline.com/dictionary/special_1
spe‧cial1 S1 W1
1 not ordinary or usual, but different in some way and often better or more important
particularly important to someone and deserving attention, love etc
3 [only before noun] a special position or job has a particular purpose or aim, and continues only until that purpose or aim is achieved:
4 [only before noun] more than usual:

es‧pe‧cial British English formal

http://www.ldoceonline.com/dictionary/especially#p008-001167183
especially, specially

It is better to use
especially in front of adjectives to emphasize them, although some people also use specially The cake was especially good. This part is especially interesting.

Use
especially to say that something applies more to one thing or situation than to others Everyone loved it, especially the children. You should call first, especially if you �re going to be late.

Use
specially to say that something is done or made for a particular purpose I got this specially for you. specially designed equipment

!!
Especially never comes at the start of a sentence He loves fruit. He especially likes kiwis (NOT Especially he likes ...).

I hope they will help you
Dora

3 Jun 2010     

Babs1966
France

With all that explanation it made me think of an old song of Kelly Minogue ;)

dailyMotion video==> Especially for you

3 Jun 2010