Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > special, especial, especially, specially    

special, especial, especially, specially

chenchen_castrourdiales
Spain

special, especial, especially, specially

Hi everybody,

Once again I need your help. I always have trouble with these words. I have some sort of idea about when to use them but I �m not good at giving good examples or a good explanation to my students about them. Could you please help me? Thanks in advanced.

3 Jun 2010      

anitarobi
Croatia

Lots of debate on that on various forums, but no definite answers. Dictionaries actually offer all versions as possible and interchangeable: special and especial are synonyms, as well as especially and  specially... Honestly, I myself always use special and especially. Why? Shame on me, but I have no idea!

3 Jun 2010     

Babs1966
France

My answer is on the one below ;) Your message was placed twice on the site

3 Jun 2010     

teresapr
Portugal

Another remark-according to OXFORD ADVANCED LEARNER �S DICTIONARY- ESPECIAL  is often linked to BRITISH ENGLISH (Formal), while special is more informal and mostly used in AMERICAN ENGLISH!

3 Jun 2010     

dawnmain
United Kingdom

heres a usesful explanation for the bbc
http://www.bbc.co.uk/worldservice/learningenglish/grammar/learnit/learnitv265.shtml

I am English and I have never even heard of especial.

4 Jun 2010