Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > What īs the English for ...?    

What īs the English for ...?

cacucacu
Argentina

What īs the English for ...?

Dear friends around the world, 
I need you help again. I īm dealing with the topic job and places. In my country is very common for children to celebrate their birthday parties at a place they rent for that purpose. Clowns and magicians entertain children at these places for 2 hours. Children also dance, play games, wear costumes, have something to eat and blow the candles from the birthday cake. I was wondering if this places exist in English speaking countries and what they are called.
Thanks again for you help
Love from Argentina
Naty 

5 Jun 2010      

Flora1
Brazil

Here in Brazil people do the same. IīD LIKE TO KNOW TOO!!! rented club? actually i donīt know.

5 Jun 2010     

GIOVANNI
Canada

We also sometimes have birthday parties in Canada at a hall.  Sometime we take our children to McDonald īs or another place where they have a party room.   We usually call these rooms party rooms, party halls or for a big reception or big party a banquet hall.

5 Jun 2010     

yanogator
United States

We definitely have them in the US, but I don īt know if there īs an official term for them. The biggest chain is called Chuck-E-Cheese īs. They serve pizza and have music. You can have a private room, or just a space in the large hall. My name for it is "the noisiest place on Earth", but that īs all I can tell you.

Bruce

5 Jun 2010     

cacucacu
Argentina

I really apreciate your help Bruce and Giovanni!
Love
Naty

5 Jun 2010     

Jayho
Australia

Hi Naty

We call them:

kids party venue
childrenīs party venue
kids birthday venue
childrenīs birthday venue

Cheers

Jayho

5 Jun 2010     

cacucacu
Argentina

Thank you Jayho!!! 
Love
Naty

5 Jun 2010     

cacucacu
Argentina

Thank you Jayho!!! 
Love
Naty

5 Jun 2010     

libertybelle
United States

A little comment -
isn īt it sad that kids can īt invite their friends over for cake and ice cream in their own backyards anymore?
Kids today are so spoilt!

No wonder parents work so hard - they are busy using all their money on frivolous birthday parties!

5 Jun 2010     

Gaby141
United Kingdom

Hi Naty

In Britain we use church halls or īfunction rooms �, but nowadays most kids have their parties at McDonalds, bowling clubs or other organised venues.

A function room is rented and used for all kinds of celebrations; birthday parties, wedding receptions etc.

Hope this helps!
Gaby

5 Jun 2010     

fifey
United Kingdom

Gaby would be right. We would call them function rooms, but our children can have parties at swimming pools; community centres, indeed anywhere they offer a big enough location for the party.
A function room by definition would be used for all sorts of functions. Weddings; birthdays; funerals; anniversaries etc. It is usually the preferred method as they are less expensive. I guess a birthday party is only as limited as your imagination, and of course your age. An 18 years old teenager may not want their party at Macs, whereas a 5 year old would love it. Hope this helps.

5 Jun 2010     

1    2    Next >