Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > the exam is coming SOON, adult students are stressed    

the exam is coming SOON, adult students are stressed

Kate (kkcat)
Russian Federation

the exam is coming SOON, adult students are stressed

Dear colleagues,

My students are taking an international exam in a few days and I can feel they are very stressed about this...we have prepared thoroughly for it, have had lots of pre-tests and stuff like that...They have put a lot of effort in preparation for the exam and now when the exam is just a few days away, they are getting nervous, leaving each class sighing deeply.

I keep telling them everything will be fine...But I was thinking... are there any ways which can REALLY help students unwind before the exams? Maybe do some fun activities right before the exam...what do you think?
Will be glad if you share your ideas and experience ;)

Kate

7 Jun 2010      

lshorton99
China

My students are doing FCE in a few days and I do a few funny things with them.

My favourites include: a countdown of the silliest writing mistakes they �ve made over the year.

Funny ways to deal with an uncooperative partner in the oral exam (for example, a partner who talks too much - tell them to shut the f*** up!)

We also go over filling in answer sheets - pointing out all the ways they could lose marks in the exam by not writing in capitals, for example.

About a month before the exam I usually tell them I �m disappointed in them - they �re not pulling their weight and I expect more from them (this coincides with when they lose energy and enthusiasm). Now, the last couple of weeks, I tell them that i �ve never had such a good class (this year it happens to be true) and I can �t believe how well they �re going to do!

I insist that they get a good night �s sleep before the exam and that they picture themselves going into the exam, picking up their pencil and knowing the answers. In the speaking exam, I teach them WWLD - What Would Lindsey Do and tell them I �ll buy them a drink if they manage to get the word unicorn, rainbow or dolphin into it. They don �t, but thinking about something silly relaxes them.

These are a few of my favourites!

Good luck to your students!

Lindsey

8 Jun 2010     

puddyd
Oman

I would also go over the various ways of asking questions so they know and understand the words/instructions.Make a pelmanism or I think there is one by �frenchfrog �.
Good luck ;o)

8 Jun 2010     

puddyd
Oman

http://www.eslprintables.com/printable.asp?id=124750#thetop

http://www.eslprintables.com/printable.asp?id=417652#thetop

Try these two linksthe first is the pelmanism and the second just a sheet explaining all the question words.I hope this is helpful and goodluck

8 Jun 2010     

anitarobi
Croatia

I once told my sts they were about to see a recorded video of an actual test, and they all sat down with those serious faces, and then I played them the video of Mr Bean taking an exam (maths, if you know it)... It was hillarious.

8 Jun 2010