Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Subject pronoun "I"    

Subject pronoun "I"

chenchen_castrourdiales
Spain

Subject pronoun "I"

Hi teachers,

Today, one of my students has asked me the reason why do they have to write the subject pronoun "I" in capital letters. The point is that I have never asked myself that question before and that I do not know the reason. Does any of you know the reason why "I" is written in capital letters but not the rest of the subject pronouns? The question may seem stupid but I don not know. Thanks in advance.

8 Jun 2010      

coyote.chus
Spain

The most common theory is that when the old English "Ich" (like in German) became reduced to "I" it was thought to be too small and insignificant to be a real word and could easily get attached to the end or beginning of another word. So scribes and later printers took the habit of capitalising it

8 Jun 2010     

Bruna Dutra
Brazil

Actually, I once read there was a story behind it, but don �t remember what. But wikipedia gives a short and clear explanation:

English I originates from Old English (OE) ic. This transformation from ic to i had happened by about 1137 in Northern England. Capitalisation of the word began around 1250 to clarify the single letter as constituting a full word: writers and copyists began to use a capital I because the lower-case letter was hard to read, and sometimes mistaken for part of the previous or succeeding word. This practice was already established by the introduction of movable type in the mid-15th century, and was also still considered to improve readability.

I �m just pasting from it.
I believe we should always tell the students that many things have a story behind them. However, most frequently it �s better to incorporate the expression and move on.

Every now and then, I like to share funny facts about English, though.
Did you know that English has more synonyms than any other language in the world? That �s why I always tell them to try hard and harder to express themselves only in English, not trying to translate things all the time.

Hope to have helped.
Best regards!
Bruna

8 Jun 2010     

Minka
Slovenia

I don �t really mind what the reason is. We just try to remember it. But I do use it when explaining the persons:
In singular, the first person is "I" - because everything happens around me and to me I am the first. No one gets closer to me than "I". In fact, I am so important to me that I always write I in capital.
The second person is "you" - the one I am speaking to.
The third person is not so close, it is one we are speaking about. Someone who is not you, nor I.

9 Jun 2010     

MarionG
Netherlands

interesting! Good to know the real reason but I also tell my students something like Minka..The English think very highly of themselves so they capitalize �I". I straighten up completely making myself look  important and making myself  look like the capital �I �

9 Jun 2010     

douglas
United States

Interesting and informative thread--thanks

9 Jun 2010     

alien boy
Japan

According to some of the etymology resources I �ve looked at:

he reason for writing I is ... the orthographic habit in the middle ages of using a �long i � (that is, j or I) whenever the letter was isolated or formed the last letter of a group; the numeral �one � was written j or I (and three iij, etc.), just as much as the pronoun. [Otto Jespersen, "Growth and Structure of the English Language," p.233]

Cheers,
AB

9 Jun 2010     

Jayho
Australia

Very interesting thread  -  I wanted to know more so I googled it and found these interesting links:

and 

Cheers  -  Jayho

9 Jun 2010