Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > potatoe...and what ´s the other word american use to rhyme with it ????    

potatoe...and what ´s the other word american use to rhyme with it ????

alexa09
Argentina

potatoe...and what ´s the other word american use to rhyme with it ????

hi colleagues! have you ever heard (esp amrican movies or series) someone (let �s say "speaker 1")  is speaking and the right word doesn �t come out (from speaker 1) so he/she says (whatever he /she thinks it is ) SO...speaker 2, corrects him/her . Then THE OTHER SAYS "YES, POTATOE,.........." (I.E "WHATEVER") they mean : yes "wahtever the word is, ..." and they use that rhyme "potatoe-.........." (I dont Remember! can anybody help?? THANKS A LOT!

9 Jun 2010      

yanogator
United States

I �m sure you �re thinking of an old song:
You like "potayto" and I like "potahto"
You like "tomayto" and I like "tomahto"
"Potayto""potahto""tomayto""tomahto"
Let �s call the whole thing off.

So, what the person says is "Potayto, potahto", meaning "You say it your way, and I �ll say it my way".

I hope this helps you,
Bruce

9 Jun 2010     

Jayho
Australia

Hi Alexa

I don�t recall having specifically heard this and if you know of a particular movie where you have heard this I�d be interested to watch it and see it being used.  Bruce�s explanation sounds good.  Perhaps, also, they are referring to a potato idiom like hot potato.

Cheers

Jayho

9 Jun 2010