Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Girlfriends and boyfriends     

Girlfriends and boyfriends

zoemorosini
United States

Hello all:

Such an interesting discussion!  And Zuzana, there�s nothing to be embarrassed about in asking!  Use of the language in this way is actually a very practical concern.

I �ve heard men refer to their "female friend/s" and women refer to their "male friend/s" if they want it to be understood that there �s no romantic attachment. 

Also, people will say "Oh, Annie?  Yes, she �s just a friend" if they want to say they �re not in a physical or close emotional relationship.

I assume you �re all familiar with the idiom "friends with benefits"?

10 Jun 2010     

Jayho
Australia

Well Zoe, that is a new one for me.  I have never ever heard that idiom but I googled it and it is just what it implies.  See, we never stop learning.

10 Jun 2010     

mariamit
Greece

Well I often have cofee with my girlfriends (female friends) and my friends (male or female). Now, if my husband of 27 years were to have coffee with his girlfiend- I �d kill him and then I �d divorce him. If he were to do it with his boyfirend- well that would probably send my to the psychiatrist wondering why I hadn �t had a clue all these years. In other words alien Boy got it completely right. At least in the US a girlfriend is a friend who is a girl but a boyfirend implies romantic involvement whether it is said by a female or a male

10 Jun 2010     

< Previous   1    2    3