Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Help needed    

Help needed

pukas
Portugal

Help needed

Hello !!

I need your help. Which one is correct?

I may get a job in Germany. if you got/get it what would/will your boyfriend say.  

Thanks!

10 Jun 2010      

ELOJOLIE274
France

Hi

got... would = it �s less likely you get the job (the person speaking thinks it is more unlikely)
get... will = everything went well, you �re more likely to get the job (the person speaking thinks you have more chance of getting this job than if he used "got... would")

same as:
if I win the lottery, I will... = you consider you have a high chance of winning the lottery - optimistic
if I won the lottery, I would... = it �s unlikely you ever win the lottery (because you rarely buy tickets, you �re not very lucky...) - pessimistic

Elodie

10 Jun 2010     

magneto
Greece

I think Elodie �s explanation is very completeThumbs Up

10 Jun 2010     

t.javanshir
Australia

Hi,

The first conditional (also called conditional type 1) is a structure used for talking about possibilities in the present or in the future. 

Looking at the first sentence and the word "may" which indicates a possible future event (possibility), it becomes clear that the first conditional is aimed. So in this particular example the answer will be as following:

I may get a job in Germany. If you get it what will your boyfriend say? 

got and would which are examples of the second conditional sentences are used to talk about things which are unreal (not true or not possible) in the present or the future -- things which don �t or won �t happen.

Hope it will help

10 Jun 2010     

pukas
Portugal

I think I dint�t explain my self well.

My doubt is, which of the sentece is correct?

I may get a job in Germany. if you got it what would your boyfriend say.  
                                       or
I may get a job in Germany. if you get it what will your boyfriend say.  

10 Jun 2010     

magneto
Greece

Well, I think they are both potentially correct, depending on the meaning you want to convey.
But t.javanshir has also posted an answer - and a more decisive one, dare I say...So maybe he/ she has answered your question.

10 Jun 2010     

pukas
Portugal

Thanks all.

I�m cleared now.

10 Jun 2010     

ELOJOLIE274
France

both are correct! what t.javanshir said is correct, but it doesn �t mean i �m not correct. "may" is indeed used to talk about a possible future even, but that doesn �t exclude the type 2 conditional in that case - but it means you can �t use the type 3 conditional!!!
as I said, it �s a matter of thinking the glass "half empty" or half full" - type 2 conditional can refer to a possible future if that future is less certain/unlikely.

if you had the modal "might" you would have to use the type 2 conditional because of the uncertainty of this future.

if you had written:
i nearly got a job... if you had gotten it, what would your boyfriend have said? = type 3, because it �s in the past, and you can �t go back in time...

type 1 = real potential future

10 Jun 2010