Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > kids    

kids

saszka2
Poland

kids

Do you know any games that work with very small children? Like 3 or 4- year olds?
I know plenty of games that work with older children, but unfortunately they don �t work with the little ones. Even "Simon says" doesn �t work with them as some children just do not get the idea of the game. Please help:)

10 Jun 2010      

AHHA
Belarus

These games work well for my young learners.

Magic Window: you can find games of this kind on ericaplak �s page (What �s in my wardrobe, What �s in my schoolbag, What �s in my stomach, etc.). or you can make this game by yourself: Fold an A4 piece of paper in two and make a small hole. Put a flashcard into the Magic Window so that pupils can see only part of the picture. Ask: What�s this? When pupils guess, say: Yes, it�s a dog. Show the flashcard to the class. Repeat the procedure with the other pictures.

One, two, three...: The teacher hides a picture and says"One, two, three, what can I see, something in the picture beginning with ..." and names the first letter/sound of the word and kids guess this word.

Moving activity (Mr Crocodile)
Ask pupils to stand in one line. Then explain the rules of the game: pupils have to cross the river where Mr Crocodile lives. They can cross it only if they are wearing something of the colour named by Mr Crocodile. If they don�t have anything of that colour, they will have to run as Mr Crocodile will try to catch them. Any pupil who is caught becomes Mr Crocodile.

Goodbye, one eye...:Put the flashcards on the board. Then say: Goodbye, one eye! Goodbye, two eyes! Close your eyes. Next, take any flashcard from the board and hide it behind your back. Say: Open your eyes. What �s missing? Pretend to look puzzled. Elicit from pupils the missing family member, show it to the class when you get the correct answer: Yes, a grandad. This game helps to train their memory.

Moving activity (Chinese whispers)
Ask pupils to stand in a line. Whisper a sentence to the first pupil in the line: I�ve got a sister. The pupil whispers the sentence to the next pupil, etc. The last pupil in the line says the sentence aloud. You may ask the pupil to point to the corresponding family flashcard.

Moving activity (Pass the envelope)
Ask pupils to stand in a circle. Show them a large envelope with some flashcards in it and tell them that they will pass the envelope around the circle while the music plays. When the music stops, the pupil with the envelope picks up any of the flashcards and makes a true sentence about his family: I�ve got a dad. / I haven�t got a dad.

Learning new words (topic toys/animals/pets, etc.) Give the toys to pupils � one toy to one pupil. Check if they know their �names� well. Ask pupils to put up �their� toy when they hear its name. Try slow and fast pace.�

Checking understanding of the familiar vocabulary
Put flashcards on the board. T: Take a cat, Vika. The pupil comes to the board and takes the card. Hand out all the cards to pupils.�
T: Can you give me a dog? Pupils come to you and give the cards back.

Read my lips: Say the new words to pupils articulating them with no sound. Encourage them to guess the words and say them aloud.

Magic Picture
To make a Magic Picture take an A4 paper sheet, fold it in two, copy the silhouette of an animal or some other thing and cut it out. Then take a set of A5 coloured card paper. Put the coloured paper inside a Magic Picture one colour by one to change the colours of the animal.

Finger chat
Thumb 1: Hello!
Thumb 2: Hello!
Index finger 1: What�s your name?
Index finger 2: My name�s Anna. What�s your name?
Index finger 1: My name�s Dima.
Middle finger 1: How are you?
Middle finger 2: I�m O�K. How are you?
Middle finger 1: I�m fine.
Ring finger 1: How old are you?
Ring finger 2: I�m four. How old are you?
Ring finger 1: I�m five.
Little finger 1: Bye-bye!
Little finger 2: Bye-bye!

Good luck!

10 Jun 2010     

Moakana
Costa Rica

For mine it worked to play "small-big" haha it was pretty funny. You can draw a box on the floor and say "In" or "out" so they could learn those prepositions.

11 Jun 2010     

redcamarocruiser
United States

Red light, Green light.
http://wondertime.go.com/create-and-play/article/red-light-green-light.html

Duck duck, goose.
http://www.holidaycook.com/party-games/duck-duck-goose.shtml

11 Jun 2010