Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > CPE exercise    

CPE exercise

aliciapc
Uruguay

CPE exercise

Hello, I �m working on a prof class I �ll have on Monday and there �s an exercise where I couldn �t figure out which word to use . The SAME word should be used in all three sentences .... Will you let me know if you find it out ?  Thank you !
1. We would like to present you with a crystal vase as a _____ of our appreciation for your 25 years of loyal service . 2. Unemployment has fallen below the one million _____ for the first time in 10 years . 3. As the funeral procession passed, he took off his hat, as a _____ of respect for the dead person.

12 Jun 2010      

alex1968
Greece

"token" is the word u �re looking for :)

12 Jun 2010     

aliciapc
Uruguay

Thank you for your help ! But, sorry, Alex, I �m sure we can �t say "token" in number 2 , do you think it fits ?

I�ll keep trying to find a word that fits THE THREE sentences, and let you know if I find it ...  ;-)

12 Jun 2010     

yanogator
United States

I can �t imagine using "token" in #2.

Even though it isn �t nearly as common as "token" in 1 and 3, I would say that "mark" works in all three sentences.

Other opinions about this?

Bruce

12 Jun 2010     

MarionG
Netherlands

I am with Bruce. True, �token � or �sign � would be more natural in the first and the third but they don �t fit the second sentence. If it needs to be the same word for all three I would also go for �mark �

12 Jun 2010     

aliciapc
Uruguay

I kept looking up in dictionaries and Bruce, you �re right about "mark" for respect (3) and for appreciation (1) - although "token" is used here, too. So I guess my doubt now is about #2 ... but the dictionary says it applies to percentages, too... What do you think ? And Alex, do you think "mark" is appropriate here ?

12 Jun 2010     

aliciapc
Uruguay

Just read your post Marion, so it �s "mark" then ? Thank you all three soooo much for taking the time to answer me !Hug

12 Jun 2010     

lovemykids
Uruguay

Hi Alicia!
I thought of sign as well. Isn �t it possible in number 2???

12 Jun 2010     

aliciapc
Uruguay

Just PMed  you

12 Jun 2010     

aliciapc
Uruguay

Finally, Bruce is right, it �s a mark of respect, mark of appreciation and one million mark.
I found the three examples in Longman and  Macmillan dictionaries and ... an old one, Larousse, I have had for ages but never really  used it ...  Thank you all, again !

12 Jun 2010     

yanogator
United States

I �m glad I could help.

Bruce  Cool

12 Jun 2010