Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > debates    

debates

lypau
Mexico

debates

HELLO!

I NEED YOUR HELP. I �M TEACHING A TOEFL GROUP BUT I HAVE TO MAKE A DEBATE WITH THEM. CAN YOU GIVE SOME IDEAS ABOUT DEBATES?

IN ADVANCED 

juegosgratismx.com

.Hug

15 Jun 2010      

Lindax
Ukraine

I love using Discussions by Adrian Wallwork, Compelling conversations, Onestopenglish lessons.�

Besides you can just google:� english lesson debate

and you`ll find plenty to choose from.

15 Jun 2010     

sp.watson
Thailand

Hi,

I �ve done a couple of debates with an advanced class preparing for IELTs, they can be great fun and are really good at improving speaking skills and confidence.

To facilitate the debate the students will probably need to do a little research first, so it �s a good idea to set some homework before the debate- one that worked well for me was asking them to produce a list of the top 10 most significant events of the 20th Century. Doing this as homework meant that they were much better informed for the debate.

In class the students then had to come up with and agree upon a top 3 in small groups (like a balloon debate) and finally debate with the other groups the reasons for their choices. Doing the small group work first helps them to firm up their ideas and arguments for the whole class debate.

Another technique that helped to ensure a good level of English during the debates was to review the language for giving opinions, agreeing, disagreeing and persuading people.
e.g. Personally, I think...
In my opinion...
That �s a good point, but...  etc.

Hope that �s helpful.

15 Jun 2010     

Jayho
Australia

Hiya

I use these links:

Hope they help you too

Cheers

Jayho