Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > "TO have got" or just "have got"?    

"TO have got" or just "have got"?

Isabelucha
Portugal

"TO have got" or just "have got"?

Can you please help me understanding this...

Is it wrong to say that the infinitive of this verb is "TO have got"? Why? Is it only "Have got"?
Thx in advance!

15 Jun 2010      

anitarobi
Croatia

infinitives are with to, without to they �re called bare infinitives... I think... let �s hear what others have to say

15 Jun 2010     

Mariethe House
France

I �d say that "have got" is not an infinitive... I guess it �s the verb "get" in the present perfect in fact, therefore, it can �t be infinitive!the logic behind it all?  well have expresses possession which started at one point in the past ( I got)and is still the case in the present, so  in order to link the 2 moments you need a present perfect: I have got but basically it is the verb: "to have"
Does it make any sense? At this time of night it would be a miracle!!Sleepy
Shall read the other answers in the morning when I am awake!Smile

15 Jun 2010     

lshorton99
China

I would say MarietheHouse �s assessment is entirely accurate. �Have got � is not a verb by itself. �Have � is a verb, �Get � is a verb, �Have got � is a construction of verb plus past participle. It takes the form of the present perfect form but functions as present simple to indicate possession - it �s a little unusual that way, but unsurprising in the �unusual � English language!

Lindsey

15 Jun 2010     

Isabelucha
Portugal

I know that we have 2 verbs- Have got and have which express the same idea. but "have got" is BrE and "have " is AmE. (I think...) Anyway the problem is that we had to choose the Students � book for next year (level 1) and my colleagues seemed to be stuck with this problem. They seemed sure that we cannot say "TO" when the verb is have got... We say "to have" or "to get", yes. But we cannot say "TO have got"...

Thank you sooo much for the quick answer, Anita and Mariethe! You are the best!Thumbs Up

let �s wait for natives. Come on, guys! Help us out here! British? Americans?
Croatia and France are the quickest!!! LOL

15 Jun 2010     

Isabelucha
Portugal

Thanks Ishorton!
Anyway... we have (got) pages and pages of English books in which we teach our Ss the verb "have got"Confused.
I have got a cat
You have got a cat
he/she/it has got a cat..... and so on...
Errmmm .... Confused, now... and sleepy too.
ok... waiting for more answers..................................................

15 Jun 2010     

lshorton99
China

I know what you mean, but I think if you look carefully, although they go through the conjugations, it is never directly referred to as a verb!

Good night!

Lindsey

16 Jun 2010     

Apodo
Australia

I can think of this way to use to have got but it�s not an infinitive.

�I seem to have got a lot of extra plastic lids in my kitchen cupboard. �
�He seems to have got himself tangled in his fishing line. �

16 Jun 2010     

yanogator
United States

Sorry that I can �t be of any help here, since I never say "have got". I just wanted my friends here to know that many people in the US use "have got", as in "I have got a cat", or more often, "I �ve got a cat". There was once even a TV game show called "I �ve Got a Secret".

Bruce

16 Jun 2010     

sp.watson
Thailand

Strange language isn �t it, that one of the most commonly used verbs can cause us so much confusion!!

As far as I know "have got" looks like the present perfect of the verb "get", but does not function as the present perfect. It also looks a little like a phrasal verb, but does not behave as one of these either as it can only be used in the one tense. It is an unusual construction that only works in the present simple and has only one function - to emphasize the possessive function of the verb "have". Because it is an exception it has no full infinitive either.

It is probably used more often by Am English speakers e.g. "I �ve got a new phone" as many Br English speakers would simply say "I have a new phone" - note the contraction is generally not used in the second example.

16 Jun 2010     

lshorton99
China

And I wanted to add to the excellent points made above that we also can �t say �I haven �t a new phone � which is one of the most common mistakes my students make and drives me nuts!!!!!

16 Jun 2010     

1    2    Next >