Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > I need help    

I need help

chatina7
Mexico

I need help

Hi there!
I need your help. I think I made a mistake in class. I taught about permission and prohibition, I used : it`s prohibit to, it`s not allowed to... and so on, but I used:
it`s banned to ......      Is it correct? or it only goes at the end of the sentence?
Please , help me.
thanks in advance.

16 Jun 2010      

Apodo
Australia

I use the words this way:

Smoking is banned in restaurants.
Smoking is prohibited.
Alcohol is prohibited in this area.
Smoking is not allowed.
Can I smoke here? No It �s prohibited.
Are you allowed to smoke outside?
Smoking is allowed outside. Smoking is permitted in the smoking area.
May I have permission to leave the room?
I have my parents � permission to go to the school camp.
The ban on smoking is good for non-smokers.
You �re not allowed to speak during the exam.
That young man has been banned from the hotel because of his bad behaviour.

I never say �It �s not allowed to smoke. �   �It �s prohibited to smoke � 
If speaking about a pet I could say �It �s not allowed on my bed � or It �s not allowed to get on my bed �

16 Jun 2010     

Jayho
Australia

Hiya

Just to add to what Apodo provided, sometimes prohibited and banned are synonyms and are interchangeable.  At other times they are not interchangeable and usage depends on context.  Prohibited, imho, tends to be more formal/legal and banned more informal and commonly used in conversation.

If you google these two words you will see some good examples of usage.

I�m interested to hear what others think.

Cheers

Jayho

16 Jun 2010     

Zora
Canada

Hi there!

Actually "ban" is the legal term. "Smoking is banned in all public places" - means that by law it is prohibited to smoke in public.

Whereas to say, "It �s prohibited to smoke here." - doesn �t necessarily mean that a law has been passed to ban smoking in the area. It could mean that it is simply dangerous to smoke in the area...

To me "ban" means to prohibit BUT to prohibit is not always the same thing as ban. Prohibit means to not allow...

Smile

16 Jun 2010     

Jayho
Australia

Hi Zora

I �m not so sure I entirely agree.  Maybe it �s differerent here.  We do say/write that smoking is banned/prohibited interchangebly where it is law (which is just about everywhere in Oz now, thank goodness). I �m also thinking of the legal situation where specific persons are prohibited from child-related employment/volunteering -  the authorities don �t use banned unless that person was convicted of a related offence whilst engaged in a child-related position.  Similarly, with travel these days they talk about prohibited items rather than banned items. I think it �s a fine line that perhaps depends on local usage.

Cheers

Jayho

16 Jun 2010     

Zora
Canada

I can �t say how it is used "Down Under" Wink so it might just be a regional thing... but the dictionaries I looked up seem to agree to some degree with my "fuzzy logic"... Tongue

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/prohibited

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/banned

Hugs

Linda

16 Jun 2010