Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Help with translation doubt: " salir ganando" end up winning vs. come out on top Pleeeeeassssssssee :)    

Help with translation doubt: " salir ganando" end up winning vs. come out on top Pleeeeeassssssssee :)

newuser07
Argentina

Help with translation doubt: " salir ganando" end up winning vs. come out on top Pleeeeeassssssssee :)

Hi Dear friends,

What would natives say in the following context:
Commercial for a product... Maybe the product is a bit expensive but the quality is supposed to be very good.
Would it be correct to use the following slogan: do the math & end up winning or should we use come out on top?

Thanks in advance!!!!!!!!!!!

16 Jun 2010      

yanogator
United States

I think "come out on top" sounds better. The other isn �t bad.

Bruce

16 Jun 2010     

newuser07
Argentina

Thanks for your answer Bruce. So come out on top would be " salir ganando" even if we�re not referring to a sort of race, right?
The idea is that this product might be a bit expensive but in the long run it�s going to be more effective. I hope it�s clearer now.

Thanks again and pls tell me if this is the best option for this context.

16 Jun 2010     

yanogator
United States

Newuser,
If I understand "salir ganando" correctly, it literally means "to leave winning". We do have an expression "to go out a winner" or "to go home a winner", which is almost a translation of yours, but I think "come out on top" has a better sound. Yes, it �s not just for competitions, so it works in this context.
Actually, now that I think about it more, it sounds pretty good to say, "Do the math and go home a winner."

Other opinions?

Bruce

16 Jun 2010     

colibrita
United Kingdom

Yep, I agree with Bruce, "come out on top" or "go home a winner" have a better ring to them.

I must say though to come up with the best slogan it really depends on what the product actually is. Advertising slogans are an absolute art form and can be notoriously difficult to translate.

All the best

La C

16 Jun 2010