Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > A Vocabulary question    

A Vocabulary question

maria da rosa
Brazil

A Vocabulary question

Morning friends,

! need your help.I �m from Brazil and a student asked me how she could say CATEQUESE in English.I �ve tried to find that but I didn �t.Who can help me.

Thanks

Angel

16 Jun 2010      

coyote.chus
Spain

I think there is the word catechizing in English, although it sound a bit strange to me.
Could you say Sunday school?
Let �s wait for native speakers � ideas.

16 Jun 2010     

nita551
Spain

�I looked up catechesis. According to this entry (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/catechesis), it means "oral religious instruction, formerly esp. before baptism or confirmation". I hope it helps. �

16 Jun 2010     

manonski (f)
Canada

I found catechism. I don �t speak Spanish but I went with the two replies you received.
These are the definitions I found:
1. A book giving a brief summary of the basic principles of Christianity in question-and-answer form.
2. A manual giving basic instruction in a subject, usually by rote or repetition.
3. A body of fundamental principles or beliefs, especially when accepted uncritically: "the core of the catechism of the antinuclear left, the notion that the threat to peace is technological, not political" (George F. Will).
4. A close questioning or examination, as of a political figure.

16 Jun 2010     

pauguzman
Argentina

I �d say Religion class

16 Jun 2010     

maria da rosa
Brazil

Thank you all, the best definition in my case is catechesis!

16 Jun 2010     

angelicagalante
Canada

Hi Maria,

As far as I know, kids have religious classes before confirmation. Then, they have to confess in order to get their confirmation communion, which is the first time they�ll have the eucharist. Christian kids here in Canada usually go to a catholic school, where religion is part of the school program and they go to the same church to receive their confirmation.

Hope that helps.

Angelica.

16 Jun 2010     

lshorton99
China

They are catechesis classes - they are also very common here in Spain (I know because half my students miss all/parts of class to go to them and it �s very irritating when planning!!!!). The Spanish and the Portuguese word is almost identical!

It �s a specifically Catholic thing so doesn �t equate to regular Sunday school or religious instruction classes, such as those I went to in the Church of England!

This is a good link to explain it all:

http://www.secondexodus.com/html/catholicdefinitions/catechesis.htm

Hope that answers your question!

Lindsey

16 Jun 2010     

ballycastle1
United Kingdom

Just to add to what �s been said, a catechism is a reference text for teaching Catholic doctrine and all Catholic chidren study the catechism as part of their religious formation.  In the UK they do this in RE (Religious Education) classes.  However, no child/teenager would use the term catechetics, even though it �s the correct term for religious instruction. Hope this helps to clarify.

16 Jun 2010     

yanogator
United States

I agree with ballycastle that, as a word in regular use, people would almost always say "catechism". Your average "person on the street" might never have heard the words "catechesis" and "catechetics", and the related adjective "catechetical".

Religious leaders and teachers would use "catechetics" to mean the "science" of religious education, "catechesis" for the process, and "catechism" as the actual information imparted.

Bruce

16 Jun 2010     

Liligirl
Brazil

You can say catechesiscatechism class
Sunday school is escola dominical, this term is  generaly used  by protestants church .

17 Jun 2010     

1    2    Next >