Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Different from/ Different to!    

Different from/ Different to!

mad_rdg
Germany

Different from/ Different to!

Can anyone explain me the difference between different from and different to as I �m not satisfied with the explanations I found in my dictionary!Thank you!

17 Jun 2010      

S.Reisner
Brazil

I found this here: http://www.thefreedictionary.com/different

Usage: The constructions different from, different to, and different than are all found in the works of writers of English during the past. Nowadays, however, the most widely acceptable preposition to use after different is from. Different to is common in British English, but is considered by some people to be incorrect, or less acceptable. Different than is a standard construction in American English, and has the advantage of conciseness when a clause or phrase follows, as in this result is only slightly different than in the US As, however, this idiom is not regarded as totally acceptable in British usage, it is preferable either to use different from: this result is only slightly different from that obtained in the US or to rephrase the sentence: this result differs only slightly from that in the U.S.

Hope it helps,
Simone

17 Jun 2010     

yanogator
United States

Good research, Simone. I agree with all that you found.

Bruce

17 Jun 2010     

fifey
United Kingdom

Well, i would definitely use both in different situations. Let �s see if i can give you an example.

She is different from the rest. ( implying she is better usually)

That one is different to that one. ( implying an object that needs comparison)

I know that both are in common usage in Britain, but remember American English differs, and British people frown upon the changes. Hope this helps.

17 Jun 2010